Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   CPU fan installation (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/59900-cpu-fan-installation.html)

Whitelight77 February 26, 2013 05:09 PM

CPU fan installation

Hey there, I'm something of a newb and putting together a computer. My first snag thus far is putting the correct mounts on the motherboard. The Logisys MC6002GS 66.3 CFM comes with 4 different mounting instrustions, I've already ruled one of them out but 2 mounts line up with the holes. My MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 seems to be an LGA1155 chipset and the mounts provided are for LGA775, LGA1156 and LGA1366 (the last one there uses washers instead of a mount. The ruled out one is for MDI. I'm pretty certain that I'd use the LGA1156 mount as my board is an LGA1155 but i jsut want to be sure I don't eff anything up. I already know to not touch and leave fingerprints on certain parts. The CPU is locked into the motherboard already I jsut need to be sure on the mounts.

Whitelight77 - Saved Builds - PCPartPicker Canada

Thank you

bliz February 26, 2013 05:33 PM

Actually,your CPU cooler works for 1155,it should say something for 1155,the 1156 size is just a bit different.Check the manual,but the mount for 1156 should have several holes for 1155 or whatever...something that will fit perfectly.

Whitelight77 February 26, 2013 05:42 PM

yes thank you it was the 1156 one. the back mounts did line up and the grooves were all in the correct place. Now one more question, I can screw the cooler in but the fan on it can point in 2 directions. Should the fan side be facing the case fan or towards were the hard drive and disk drive are housed? Again I'm thinking towards the tower fan simply because it the cooler fan were facing the hard drives then it would block access to the ram slots which would seem like a glaring engineering error.
I'm also looking at the Ram slots more closely and there are 4 in total. 2 Blue alternating with 2 black... I'm curious as to which one of those sets I should plug my 2 ram sticks in?

I"m also guessing I use the brass(?) screws over the black ones to mount the motherboard to the case. I imagine it has somethign to do with a proper ground or along those lines.

I know, I'm so green in these matters :thumb:

botat29 February 26, 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliz (Post 693067)
Actually,your CPU cooler works for 1155,it should say something for 1155,the 1156 size is just a bit different.Check the manual,but the mount for 1156 should have several holes for 1155 or whatever...something that will fit perfectly.

the 1156 and 1155 are not a bit different ...it's the same holes on the motherboard.

bliz February 26, 2013 06:03 PM

OK,so it won't make a huge difference.If i understand what you say,wait... imagine you are looking into your case.On the right you have drives,on the left,the upper exhaust fan of any computer case. 2 solutions:

1:putting the fan on the hard drives side,so that the fan will be very close to the RAM,and blow air through the aluminium to the back exhaust case fan
2: putting the fan on the opposite side so that it will be close to the upper exhaust case fan,and will suck air in the heatsink and exhaust it to the back exhaust fan.

these 2 solutions won't make a huge difference,maybe of 2 degrees celcius,tried it myself,because i was curious too.

BUT the mistake would be to do the solution number two,but to use the fan so that it blows air through the heatsink to the ram and drives,so yes,if you have problems with ram,just use solution number 2,but careful about the fan side.

If the fan is on the ram side, blow through,if the other side,suck air.Anyway will work the same.

Ok,for the ram ,you have a dual channel motherboard,that means that you don't have to worry about what color you are using,but put the 2 stick in the 2 slots of A SAME COLOR,that will double the bandwith of the ram,i don't know how it would effect games,but it's overall better,so do it.

Ah , didn't know for the holes size,i had a CPU cooler that used a mount for 3 sockets,and there was 3 different holes size,so i thought it was different...anyway,never had to study that....

For screws, can't say,but it's not very important,you generally have 3 different ones, the small ones for drives,the very big ones for fans and the normal screws for motherboard,i don't know your case but what fits into the hole is for that hole.

Brass screws? you mean the big ones? its for fans,would destroy the motherboard^^

use the screws that look like this:

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/96/32/963...fc9e229377.jpg

Whitelight77 February 26, 2013 06:10 PM

thank you guys. yeah I opted for the fan side rather than the ram side only because the fan on the heatsink/cooler itself blocks a black and blue port for the ram. The video card and power supply haven't arrived yet but I want to get everythin mounted tonight jsut to get all the odds and ends and unused pieces put away nicely. I'm thinking of moving the tower fan from the higher backside to the top of the case so it pulls air in from there. This optional fan can pull air in over the CPU heatsink/fan and over the ram that is beside the heatsink/fan. Then the iar can get pulled through and out the back. I'm thinking this could work just fine... I feel bad for asking questions while I'm putting it together and finding out that they really go all out to co-ordinate certain parts and grooves so it all fits together. It's daunting at first but it slowly is starting to make sense.

Oh :shok: I figured the brass ones (they're small) screwed into the tower back, then the motherboard lined up with those and the black screws just secured the motherboard to the brass ones screwed in.... Cause all I got were 9 brass screws with a male threaded end and a female threaded end on the other side, all 9 are the same. Then tonnes of various black screws but 9 of a set that screw perfectly into the brass ones. I didn't get any ones that look like the ones in that pic.

Oh I didn't realise I had no case listed. Here's the full list of my hardware on this link Whitelight77 - Saved Builds - PCPartPicker Canada

botat29 February 26, 2013 08:38 PM

the name of your brass screw is standoff :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliz (Post 693078)
For screws, can't say,but it's not very important,you generally have 3 different ones, the small ones for drives,the very big ones for fans and the normal screws for motherboard,i don't know your case but what fits into the hole is for that hole.

well what you call small are M3, they are metric, what you call normal at 6-32 and the big one for the fans are M5.5 self tapping screw , you will find also 4-40 tread on the VGA , COM connectors.

The hard drives use 6-32 The optical and floppy drives use M3, motherboard standoffs may use M3 or 6-32

Whitelight77 February 27, 2013 10:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My next (and I believe last) hardware issue is now simply finding out which connection goes to where on the montherboard. Some seem self evident, like the one marked USB which I"m sure goes in a socket also marked USB (there are 3 such sockets). The SSD drive went into a socket that had a sticker telling me to do so. But some leave a few questions in mind.

Attachment 18737

Attachment 18738

Attachment 18739

these of course are the cords running from various USB ports or the power button, and following is what I hope is a clear picture of the 'female' connections.

Attachment 18740

sorry about the flash. In the bottom right cornor the flash is covering a 9 pronged JSPI1 and a 7 pronged JCP1.

SugarJ February 27, 2013 10:36 AM

You'll have to dig out the manual for your motherboard. The USB plugs just go straight into any JUSB connector, but the other labels are MSI specific. The red wires are the +, black are - for your power switch, reset switch and power LED. They look like they plug into JFP1, but you'll have to check.

Whitelight77 February 27, 2013 11:36 AM

Thanks SugarJ :) i did indeed find some of what I was looking for. I also found an overclock button on the motherboard itself which I thoguht was neat. I think though that one of the manufactures didn't supply me with the proper cord to connect my hard drive to the motherboard. The drive has 2 connections, one looks like a flat ribbon like connection which I think is SATA, the other is an 8 pronged male connection but I have no cords for either one :(