Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Steam Games Crashing Using MSI R7970 (SOLVED) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/59773-steam-games-crashing-using-msi-r7970-solved.html)

Avenger212 February 20, 2013 07:05 AM

Steam Games Crashing Using MSI R7970 (SOLVED)

Hello HWC

I was just wondering if anyone else experience crashing or screen refreshing when playing steam games using AMD 7970Ghz cards. Cause I bought the card two days ago and I started having problems playing any steam games. The games would either crash, freeze the P.C. or refresh the screen and an error message at the task bar saying something about AMD drivers has recovered afterwards.

In addition I tried fixing it with a clean windows install and updating to Catalyst 13.1 drivers which made the problems even worst. Also I tried the stock disk driver and the following versions of Catalyst: 12.8 ,12.6 and 12.4 and still the crashing and freezing continues. Every time I downgrade the drivers I use AMD's Uninstaller and driver sweeper just to make sure. I changed the CPU to Stock settings and had not yet OC'd the card.

I think it's just the steam games I'm having problems with, any other games the card runs fine. I also tried running them on the lowest setting and still no luck. Just in case, I only play on a single monitor and the worst affected steam games are:

Sniper Elite V2 (game freezes the P.C. after 5-8mins)
Sniper Ghost Warrior (Screen keeps refreshing every 3-5mins black screen afterwards)
Civilizations V (Crashes the P.C. every 20 turns)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

great_big_abyss February 20, 2013 08:52 AM

What are your temperatures like? Run furmark, and tell us what temp your GPU hits.

Soullessone21 February 20, 2013 09:22 AM

Run fur Mark as well as, if possible test another PSU as I have seen that with a failing PSU before

Supergrover February 20, 2013 01:54 PM

Furmark and/or other GFX intensive/stability tests first IMO, since it is only steam games have you tried disabling Steam overlay? If your temps are fine and no errors checking for stability overlay would be the first thing I would try steam wise.

Avenger212 February 20, 2013 03:40 PM

Thanks guys

I disabled Steam Overlay but all of the problems still remains. Also I ran Furmark with Max Temps at 78C and Idle at 32C.
In addition I changed the PSU and ran Furmark again. No problems there, just the steam games keep crashing and freezing.

The MSI Card is factory OCed do you think that has something to do with that?

trayton February 21, 2013 12:00 PM

My brother in law just started having issues as well mostly with black ops II etc..
and other steam games very weird..

He also did the above steps of checking temps which are fine, and uninstalling and reinstalling older drivers..

His card is a 6970 though..

Avenger212 February 23, 2013 03:14 AM

I found the solution I hope it's helpful to others. It turns out MSI's Factory Overclocked wasn't stable and was crashing my games after a few minutes. When I decreased the Core Clock and Memory Clock by 10% and left the voltage and everything else at stock, Steam games started functioning again. I do hope to OC this new card in the near future but for now I just want to enjoy it. Thank guys for reminding me about Furmark.

Dzzope February 23, 2013 05:16 AM

Adding some vcore may help keep the factory oc stable but do read up on safe max voltages.