Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2013, 12:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Novice Question

So I'm busy shooting down the invading Luftwaffe bombers when my system just turns off, suddenly. Blink. All power is gone.

Recovered no problem. Checked the CPU Temp - it was 45 ish after recovery. I did not have a tempature recorder going to I don't know what it was when it crashed.

IS this a symptom of pushing my system too hard? I have the A10 at 45x, it comes set up to turbo at 42x so I thought a few more would be OK, and it has run at 45x for weeks now. But when my system crashed I was playing a Flight SIM (IL*2 Cliffs of Dover) and had been playing it for a few hours. I also had set the other easy OCing options to extreme. I have not played with the voltage settings.

I also pushed my graphics card to the max OC allowed in AMD's VCC, stock was 810 - I had it at 900. Video memory stock 1000, pushed to 1140. That is to say I slide the sliders in VCC graphic overdrive to the far right.

I have not OC'd my RAM.

I've toned it down a bit, dropping the east OC settings to High or Turbo not Extreme and the multiplier to the recommended Turbo of 42X. I also set AMD's graphics overdrive to the midway point on the slider (circa 850 and 1080).

I'll see how long I can shoot down bombers before the system crashes. I'll also turn on ASUS's sensor recorder to see what is happening with my mb and cpu temps (it does not measure GPU temps).

I am running in "Dual Graphics" mode Xfiring one HD6670 with the A10 APU. Cliffs of Dover is not happy when run with the two HD6670's Xfired. I'm in Win7 for this game, it won't even start in Win8. It is a STEAM game so internet connection is problematic (2-4 mbs makes online gaming unlikely).

I"m thinking OCing is the problem. I know the IL*2 COD game has a bad rap as being buggy (and I've found a few of them myself). Could a game bug cause the system to suddenly shut down? I'd think the game freezes (too common) or the visual goes wanky (occasionally this happens, especially after I've used the fast speed button to race back to the landing site instead of flying at real time). OR maybe the game just closes, but turn the system off.

ODD

BTW my ISP tells me my home internet connection will not be fixed until Tuesday. So I'm spending the long weekend 'un-plugged' from the internet. My goodness I might have to talk face to face with human people.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old February 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would suspect that it could be related to the overclocking. Usually a game glitch wouldn't cause the system to power off. Thats more of an unstable hardware thing. Could be the cpu OC, Could even be the video card overclocking. perhaps either the on die 6670 doesn't like to OC or vice versa, i dunno. I would set the video to stock speeds and run some stress testing on the cpu to see if it is good. What power supply are you using??
Old February 15, 2013, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could have been a power blip also, can be caused by the power coming down your line or your PSU having trouble(either generally, with the load or heat)
Old February 15, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

is your case getting good air flow for 2 gpu's lots of fresh air
Old February 16, 2013, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried actual stress tests? See: Overclocking tools of the trade
I'd start with a CPU test like LinX, then use MSI Kombustor to test GPU. Don't use actual gameplay as a stability test - that'll just get frustrating and potentially corrupt saved games.

You're right to assume the overclock first, because software glitches almost never turn a PC completely off (generally makes your OS freeze or restart). The "easy" or automatic overclocking settings almost always use much higher voltage than normal, so that can strain both the CPU and the voltage regulator modules (VRMs) supplying it. Your motherboard seems to support ASUS's AI suite, so I suggest you use it to monitor the CPU temperatures (and potentially GPU since you have ASUS GPUs as well).

Another thing I notice is you have a strange build that has two GPUs that do not have PCI-E power cables. That means your the motherboard, any expansion cards, and your overclocked video cards are all drawing +12V from the two yellow wires on the ATX connector. IIRC the ATX spec is 8A@12V per wire, so that gives you 192W to play with in theory. You may actually be exceeding that or at least getting unstable power through those two wires when overclocked.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree. Any time I have seen a pc shut off like that with no other issues it was gfx temps or power draws
Old February 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Strange Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Have you tried actual stress tests? See: Overclocking tools of the trade
I'd start with a CPU test like LinX, then use MSI Kombustor to test GPU. Don't use actual gameplay as a stability test - that'll just get frustrating and potentially corrupt saved games.

You're right to assume the overclock first, because software glitches almost never turn a PC completely off (generally makes your OS freeze or restart). The "easy" or automatic overclocking settings almost always use much higher voltage than normal, so that can strain both the CPU and the voltage regulator modules (VRMs) supplying it. Your motherboard seems to support ASUS's AI suite, so I suggest you use it to monitor the CPU temperatures (and potentially GPU since you have ASUS GPUs as well).

[B]Another thing I notice is you have a strange build that has two GPUs that do not have PCI-E power cables. [/B]That means your the motherboard, any expansion cards, and your overclocked video cards are all drawing +12V from the two yellow wires on the ATX connector. IIRC the ATX spec is 8A@12V per wire, so that gives you 192W to play with in theory. You may actually be exceeding that or at least getting unstable power through those two wires when overclocked.
There is a story behind this "Strange Build" ~ bought the wrong HD6670 (didn't have the Display Port I need for three screens) and had it too long to return it so I decided to see if I could use it. Learned that the HD6670's can be Xfired and don't need the usual bridge to connect the two cards.

BUT I should point out that the game I was playing when the system shut off will not work with the two HD6670's Xfired. However I did discover that it would play using the APU & GPU Xfired as intended in this system using AMD's "dual graphics" mode. So I'm only using one GPU playing this game even though the other is there, it shows 0% use.

I've turned on AI's Sensor Recorder and the GPU-Z Sensor recorder (a separate program, I wish they had put it into the AI Suite but it's not there, I'm using the ASUS ROG version, I can pretend can't I?). I turned up the fan speed on the GPU to 80% (using AMD's VCC graphics overdrive). I also moved the main fans speeds up a bit in AI Suite. Temperatures on the APU & GPU rises to about 50 or so, The motherboard is coolest at about 40-45. I do notice that you can see the drop in temps when the increase in fan's RPM kick in (AI Sensor Recorder shows both temp and fan speed). So fan's are effective.

BUT How HOT is Too HOT? I'm thinking I should keep everything under 60 and I seldom even get close to that.

I went back and took down the OCing a notch from Extreme back to Turbo, settings are now penultimate (one notch down from max). Didn't really notice any change in the FPS in the game. The game has an internal FPS meter you can turn on through the console. Adjusting the visual's has much more effect. I ca get a very playable 35-45 FPS avg by running some settings on HIGH and most on Medium and a couple on Low.

I've played the game a lot this weekend and it did not crash so I'm thinking just increasing the fan speed kept it cool enough.

Now If I could just learn to land the Spitfire without crashing (I turned on "realistic ground contact" setting and now I'm lucky to land it and get out alive, but I damage the plane most of the time).

I'm thinking maybe I downgrade and buy the IL* 1946 version which predates Cliffs of Dover (2011 release). I think 1946 is a 2008 game. My system should play that older game very well. I just hope I'll be happy with the graphics. Could decide to part with the $10 it costs to buy the game over a d'Bay.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old February 21, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you run any stress tests at all? My ASUS Maximus V GENE's auto overclocking settings will crash Prime95 in about 20 seconds - much easier to do that than gaming for 20 hours straight and hoping nothing wrong happened in the background.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your keeping everything under 60 then it's not temps (for GPU at least).