Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Hissing sound from HDTV

I get this hissing sound from my TV speakers even with the volume all the way down or disabled all together. I disconnected all the in/outs to/from the TV but the hissing remains.

If I have the tuner set to a TV station with the TV speakers set to disabled it still hisses and I can still hear (barely through the hiss) the talking or whatever is going on. Is the tuner messed up? I never had this issue before.

I am able to get the noise to stop if I select a source without any signals like Antennae or Cable. If I choose HDMI which is hooked to my PC for example, no audio to it just DVI>HDMI then I get that hiss again.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Watching "Snakes on a Plane"?
Fold for team #54196
Old February 5, 2013, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

LOL

does the hissing persist when the HDMI cable is unplugged? (is the root cause the TV or the attached PC)?
Old February 5, 2013, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, Like I said above I disconnected all the cables from the TV and the sound remained. It was only after selecting either the Antenna or Cable inputs through the TV's menu that the sound stopped. So it is the TV that is the cause. No snakes. I checked.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
No snakes. I checked.
I would check to see if its some sort of feral cat documentary then. Otherwise I have nothing else useful to offer. ;p

Is there a factory default setting you can use? Try that, and unplug the TV. Just anoter guess, is to try to move the TV to another location and see if there might be something causing interference (ie. an appliance of some sort) .
Fold for team #54196
Old February 5, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it more tomorrow. I was thinking EMI as well.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the sound is coming from the tv speakers or inside the tv it self?
Old February 6, 2013, 01:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like the speakers (can still hear whatever is on even though the sound is disabled)

If your not using the speakers, open up the panel and disconnect them.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, it's coming from the speakers. Sounds like the static you would hear on the old UHF TV when turning to a channel that had no broadcast on it and the video would be all snow. I don't think I'd be comfortable taking anything apart on this TV. There doesn't seem to be any access panel for the speakers.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

IRQ Conflict Go to tv's manufators site and check if is a firmware update for your model

can be high voltage leak for back lighting so i'd wouldn't be sticking my ears around any hissing

is tv under warranty ?

Last edited by KaptCrunch; February 6, 2013 at 04:30 AM.