Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Asus P5AD2-E Premium booting problem (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/59380-asus-p5ad2-e-premium-booting-problem.html)

From Jim January 27, 2013 06:58 PM

Asus P5AD2-E Premium booting problem

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum, I have been looking for an answer for about a year, I have an Asus P5AD2-E Premium computer I built about 7 years ago and in the last year it refuses to boot on the first atempt if it has been shut off over night, usually the second try is successful and the computer works fine, on the first try the bios usually stops just as it begins the hard drive selection, I only have one Sata hard drive and one DVD drive in this computer. I have taken this computer apart at least three times, replaced hard drive, power supply, all ram chips, cleaned all connections, cleared and updated the bios, changed the cmos battery, have all the latest drivers, I even removed the cpu cooler and cleaned and applied new thermal paste, I am just hoping someone can think of something I haven't done.

I have contacted Asus but as you may know you don't get much help from them, they make very good motherboards but don't have time to troubleshoot things like this.

I suspect a weak component on the motherboard, and if so there is not much to do but replace it.

Thank you
God bless
Jim

Please give it a try, I really would like to solve this before I give up. If it can be fixed I intend to give it away to someone who has none and build a new one.

misterd January 28, 2013 07:59 AM

Have you tried a different high quality power supply? When you swapped it out the exact same thing happened? PSUs can cause all sorts of crazy issues. Being a 7 year old computer that would be my 1st suggestion. Also are there any swollen or bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

PS: Welcome to HWC, fellow maritimer.

From Jim January 28, 2013 12:03 PM

Hi Misterd,

Thanks, I replaced it with a 500 watt PC Power & Cooling by OCZ model Silencer MkII, which is being used by one of our computers, it is about a year old, I bought it to try and quiet that compouter, which it does quite well. As for the capacitors, I suspect that may be the problem but is there anything I can do to make sure they are good or bad? They all look alike to me. This is my main computer and I am getting ready to replace it, I just don't like to throw away something that could be given away if I can get it to work properly.

Thanks for the help
God bless
Jim

moocow January 28, 2013 01:32 PM

If the caps start to look like a bloated soda can and/or look like a leaking battery, then for sure they are bad. Have you try replacing the SATA cable?

From Jim January 28, 2013 05:55 PM

Yes, I have about a dozen and have tried most of them, same results, I'll examine them closely. are all those can types the caps?

moocow January 28, 2013 07:32 PM

From the picture it looks like it only use can type of capacitors. Given the age of the motherboard and all the things you already tried, I would say it's good as dead. Use Google Images and just type in "bad caps" and you will have a good idea what bad caps look like.

From Jim January 30, 2013 08:35 PM

I didn't search Google but after taking a close look at the capacitors I think I have 5 or 6 that are either dead or ready to go. The reason I say this is because they all look alike except for the five or six that have the cross on top which appears to be rounded, the others have a cross marking that looks flat. Today the computer took 5 restarts but has been running OK all day. I have a complete backup of the hard drive on a new 1TB WD drive but I am not sure how much I would be able to recover to a new computer running Windows 8 64 bit. Ordinary files in my "downloads" folder should be OK but a program like Turbo Tax which has all my old tax info may not re-install. Another is my email, I now use Outlook Express and have been saving emails back to 1999 and my addresses. I have Acronis True Image and Plus, I may simply use this to transfer from this comuter to another good and newer computer I have that is running Windows XP, it's supposed to work, If you have any ideas please let me know.

God bless
Jim

moocow January 30, 2013 09:02 PM

Hmm Outlook Express may be tricky to back up since Microsoft did kill that program dead. I did a quick Google and found the following links that may help you.

[WIN8] Outlook Express mail import (years of email) to Win 8? - Microsoft Help | DSLReports Forums

Make a Backup Copy of Your TurboTax State Program - TurboTax® Software Support