Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Laptop ghost fan issue (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/59378-laptop-ghost-fan-issue.html)

bostonkikiki January 27, 2013 04:40 PM

Laptop ghost fan issue

hi ! i have an issue with my new Samsung 3 Series laptop. i know for sure the fan works : when the cpu and/or cpu get hot, the fan speeds up ! But i'm not satisfied with the way it's configured. (the temps are around 50 celsius at idle !!) And whatever program i get, i can't manage the fan speed !! the fan isnt detected at all !
Any idea ?

bigFOIG January 28, 2013 01:10 AM

Check the BIOS if there are any fan settings there. Also, are you running windows 7 or 8? I think there's a Samsung Settings App in Windows 8 that lets you control your fan.

bliz January 28, 2013 03:53 AM

Use speedfan software...

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

bostonkikiki January 28, 2013 05:54 AM

The speedfan software doesnt detect the fan. And in the Samsung settings, i have a "silent mode" that changes the fan speed with 3 different settings : AUTO, LOW, DISABLED.
And it is disabled by default...
I'll check the bios and will tell you the results

bostonkikiki January 28, 2013 06:55 AM

Well... nothing in the BIOS. Guess what ! I was unable to access the BIOS when i turned on the PC ! No key proposition ! so i tried DEL, F2, F12... didn't work. I managed to access the BIOS by entering first the Win8 settings... so weird. (i'm sure i can enter the BIOS before Windows 8 starts but i didn't find the key...).
Anyway, the BIOS is so poor... i didn't find anything about ventilation... :(

bostonkikiki January 31, 2013 03:20 AM

someone else any idea ?

frontier204 January 31, 2013 07:16 AM

Note that 50C CPU at idle is normal for mobile devices, at least with Intel CPUs. I'd actually leave it the way it is unless your laptop is heating up to the point you can't use it (e.g. keyboard gets hot).

Windows 8 is odd in that to make the PC cold-boot faster, it actually skips the BIOS prompt. You have to use RESTART from Windows 8, not shut down, and hold down whatever the BIOS key is throughout the entire time the PC is restarting. By "holding down", I mean the key is pressed the entire time.
Check your manual to find out which key you should be holding.

chubaka January 31, 2013 10:44 AM

some fan modules do not have pwm. I realize this on my older hp laptop, its just two pins.
They are voltage controlled. i dont think there is any software for this.

jaysonkurt February 10, 2013 02:48 AM

I guess you have to open it and check for connection and its condition. You may need to ask for computer technician to do that.

clone63 February 10, 2013 10:24 AM

Tons of people try to find ways to control their laptop's fans, and except for older Dell's, few software solutions succeed.
I have never heard of a laptop bios that lets you control fan settings, or even change anything useful... Don't invest a lot of time in it, just switch to a high quality thermal goo and save some time.