Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2013, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question Issue new case / old motherboard

(sorry for the double post but i can't post anything in the previous thread....)

Hi ! I got an old Dell Pc, and i wanted to change the case. I noticed most (all?) of the cases now, are sold with individual wires for your front I/O. My problem is : i found something in my pc when i opened it !
There is a small card right behind the front I/O it self ! it's called :
Dell 08UMD - Optiplex GX150 Small Mini Tower I/O Control Panel (this is then connected to the MB via a large flat cable assembly)
So my problem is : If i buy a new case with individual wires, would i be able to connect them to the motherboard (or to the mini control panel) ??
If yes, where can i get the schematics to know where to plug the wires ?
(I'm really having a hard time finding manuals online...)
Thanks !
Old January 22, 2013, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't believe Dell gives the wiring diagrams for their front I/O - I just figure them out with a continuity tester (a function of a multimeter). You will likely have to hack (soldering or other) the connectors of the case if you want to use them with the Dell.
Looking at the specs of the GX150, your time will likely cost more than the computer is worth.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok thanks ! but... how do you test with the multimeter ? I mean, what result are you getting ? And how can you know what connects to what ?!
And i know it's not really worth it, but i fairly new to computer "tech", and i don't wanna spend money on an all new system... so i'm training with what i got... :(
And, even if i wanna keep my dell MB, is there a way to bypass that GX150 ?
thanks fo your help !
(by bypass, i mean put the GX150 out of the system...)
Old January 22, 2013, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The continuity test is the resistance check - if the resistance is less than 1 Ohm, it's likely the two things you're probing are connected to each other. Better multimeters have a setting that beeps when there's low resistance so you know what's connected and what isn't.

Proprietary front panel connectors really aren't where you want to learn about building computers: I would know as I started that way. You're better off trying to see how it is to replace the hard drive, CPU, RAM, etc., which will carry over to a new build.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

All right... thanks mate ! These days i spend hours looking at motherboards and stuff on the web... God knows i wanna start a build, i just can't afford it now... :(
Thanks for your help !
(btw, do you know if i can "RAID1" or "RAID0" 2 HHDs connected by IDE to the MB ?)
Old January 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkikiki View Post
(btw, do you know if i can "RAID1" or "RAID0" 2 HHDs connected by IDE to the MB ?)
That is a Pentium III machine? really? more than 10 years old? just keep the HDDs and throw it at the garbage bin or donate it. Please get real and get a more recent machine like a core 2 duo or Athlon X2. And yes while connecting 2 HDD on the mobo would do RAID0 if the mobo would have the necessary chipset in your case is a big no, that machine has no RAID chipset.

Tags
connector , front , input , output