Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2013, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New Cabling, will this cause a short?

Hi guys.

Recently I overclocked my 3770k to 4.5GHZ with the Noctua NH-D14. I read online and i noticed that my temps of about 70-75c in prime 95 seemed to be high compared to others. Then i read that you shouldn't plug the noctua directly to the motherboard but to use molex power cables (i believe that is what they are called) in order to push the fans constantly at 100%. I know fan controllers are an option too, but i wanted to take pictures and show them to you before i do anything. Currently im typing this on the same system. What i did is i hooked it up how i think it might work, took a picture, and went back to my old setup for now, no issue.

Here are the photos:

This is how it is currently, with the exhaust fan going into the molex. (just how i want the CPU to go)

Another shot of same setup

This is how i want it to be if possible or maybe there is a better way. Also, please note that im not sure if you can attach those two molex plugs that you can see near the bottom of the screen.

Another view

Last but not least: If there is another product i could use to make this more efficient/neater, please let me know. this is my new build and i dont want to blow anything up haha. I already had to go through two RMAs for DOA products.

Thanks guys!
Old January 14, 2013, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just plug it into a 3-pin motherboard fan header, and it should run 100%.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have it at that, but some thread said that it doesn't actually run at %100 when put into the fan header. Im new to this, so i dont want to do anything crazy. Right now i can't even like hear it. But hey, if its good like this, ill leave it like that :).

Im just worried that 70c temps at %100 load are too much. But i only get 50-55c while gaming full screen. then idle is anywhere from 22-27c (two cores at 22 other are at 27c) Is this alright? if so, ill leave it at that :). thanks!
Old January 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Absolutly sure,the 3 pin connector gives 12V,which is the max for a PC fan,and the molex will also use 12V rail for the fan, if it's not a molex to 3 pin with a resistor,Anyway a simple 3 pin mobo connector will run it at the max.

If you think that the air is hot in your case you could get faster fans,noisier but with higher CFM (amount of air moved per minute) or something like that.

Heum your temps are perfect, i have 30c idle and 50 load on games,and on full stress i have 60.But even 70 is fine,even if it's a bit hot.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, I think I'll leave it as it :). Thank you guys for the reinsurance !
Old January 14, 2013, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Okay, I think I'll leave it as it :). Thank you guys for the reinsurance !
don't be afraid of the MB manaul for you can set profiles for fan headers in bios set-up (chapter 3)

Note:maximum 1A (12W) fan load, per fan header
Attached Images

Old January 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

PcWizTech

what camera used for the pic's taken ? if has ISO settings try higher setting
Old January 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
PcWizTech

what camera used for the pic's taken ? if has ISO settings try higher setting
Sorry for the bad pictures :(. My room wasn't very lit and it was my iPad. My DSLR was stored away at the time. Do you guys need me to post more pictures? The issue i see here is that every build showcase that i see i never see molex plugs. I mean its neat from the other side since everything goes in the back, but in the back its a horrifying mess :(
Old February 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

My System Specs

If I plan on overclocks that require higher voltages, I never plug fans into the fan headers other than maybe the CPU fan. And more times than not, it is just a single wire to report fan/pump speed, and power the fans with PSU. Using the fan headers rob your board of precious power. Normaly this isnt an issue. But if pushing board with higher voltages, you want as much steady and clean power as possible. Just look at the number of power connections for the Asus Rampage IV Extreme. There are 4 PSU power connections to ensure sufficient power to board during overclocking, or running multiple (3+) GPUs.