Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2013, 05:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Slow Netgear STORA

The Issue: Whenever I upload anything to it (Via FTP or simple Windows dragn'drop/copy) it's veeery slow. 25kb/s, sometimes it jumps up to 5mb/s but doesn't last for long.

The Setup: 2Wire 2701HG Router, Wired Laptop. I've also tried my with my Cisco M10 Router, same results.

Additional Details: Downloading files off of it seems to be fine. Yes, I took an entire night uploading 100mb file and copied it back to the system from the NAS. I've installed the additional software that came with, no change in my results. I've swapped the drives and checked them individually, they work fine.

I'm pretty new with NAS's but I'm not computer illiterate. I'm quite sure that nothing bandwidth intensive is going on our network and that I should be seeing much more than 5mb/s. Not sure what other details to post, any assistance would be appreciated! I'm willing to redo any of the steps I've done above if needed.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

while i don't have an answer for your problem, i can confirm that your numbers are very slow for your stora. i've had one for a few years and it typically averages 15-20mb/s depending on whether it's reading or writing.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEBH View Post
The Issue: Whenever I upload anything to it (Via FTP or simple Windows dragn'drop/copy) it's veeery slow. 25kb/s, sometimes it jumps up to 5mb/s but doesn't last for long.

The Setup: 2Wire 2701HG Router, Wired Laptop. I've also tried my with my Cisco M10 Router, same results.

Additional Details: Downloading files off of it seems to be fine. Yes, I took an entire night uploading 100mb file and copied it back to the system from the NAS. I've installed the additional software that came with, no change in my results. I've swapped the drives and checked them individually, they work fine.

I'm pretty new with NAS's but I'm not computer illiterate. I'm quite sure that nothing bandwidth intensive is going on our network and that I should be seeing much more than 5mb/s. Not sure what other details to post, any assistance would be appreciated! I'm willing to redo any of the steps I've done above if needed.
How is this thing hooked up to the system? And why do you have two routers for?
Old January 8, 2013, 09:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
How is this thing hooked up to the system? And why do you have two routers for?
It's all wired. The second one was brought in to factor out the possibility of the router being the problem. It's not that I'm using both at the same time.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This looks like a very old product (2009). Did you get this for free? If not, I would strongly suggest returning it. NAS's have come a long ways since then and there's surely better products available.

If you must keep it, have you done all the firmware updates? Sounds like you have to keep checking and checking to get them all installed.

Also are you subscribed to Netgear's service? Maybe that will give you additional features to tweak performance. Not sure really.

One other thing, are you running a bunch of services on the NAS like media servers and such? If so, try disabling those. I suspect it might not have enough CPU power or RAM to run that while offering decent file transfer speeds.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
This looks like a very old product (2009). Did you get this for free? If not, I would strongly suggest returning it. NAS's have come a long ways since then and there's surely better products available.

If you must keep it, have you done all the firmware updates? Sounds like you have to keep checking and checking to get them all installed.

Also are you subscribed to Netgear's service? Maybe that will give you additional features to tweak performance. Not sure really.

One other thing, are you running a bunch of services on the NAS like media servers and such? If so, try disabling those. I suspect it might not have enough CPU power or RAM to run that while offering decent file transfer speeds.
I'll look at firmware updates. I have but asked for a refund as I saw no difference in performance. No additional services are being run.