Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2013, 06:02 AM
Rookie

Default Computer has a black screen

Hi, I'm posting this issue about my friends PC and hope that this forum can help my friend out. Sorry about the lengthy read.

The issue is that for the past year, there are times in which the computer would shutdown and restart during gaming sessions. And when it reboots the screen would be black n nothing is loaded/showing on the monitor (ex. mobo brand/bio info) while the PC's fan/LED/hard drive/GPU is all running.

Nowadays the PC would straight up display nothing on the monitor on boot up while fan/LED/HD/GPU runs. Sometimes the PC would run fine, goes into windows and able to surf the web and all the fun stuff, but the problem persists and is quite annoying.

With that said I tried to troubleshoot with him and decided to replace his mobo and cpu to see if the problem keeps occurring. At first everything is going well, PC displays the bio menu n restarts when we tried to go into windows (due to mobo/cpu changes so need fresh install but didn't have windows handy). Then the problem occurs again... PC restarts while in the bio menu and then black screen while everything else is running (fan/LED/HD). Tried many start ups but keeps getting a black screen.

Specs:
CPU: i5 - first gen
MOBO: msi P55
RAM: G skill ripjaws 2x2GB
PSU: OCZ 650w
GPU: MSI N460GTX
Case: Forgot lol...

Changed specs:
CPU: i5 3470
mobo: msi z77a-g43
RAM: g skill ripjaws 2x2GB
PSU: OCZ 650w
GPU: MSI N460GTX

Also I tried just plugging in 1 stick of a RAM at a time and the same problem still occurs. So I'm thinking it's a RAM problem but what are the chances that both rams are defective? Or could it be a problem with the PSU? or maybe case?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by tony55997; January 5, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So the PSU and Video card were not changed? I think that it could be one of those two things giving the problems. How old is the OCZ PSU?
Old January 5, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Does that board support that CPU? Check that first.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How old is the Monitor and is it working properly? I have a 19" LG monitor that started to do the exact same thing it would power up and be fine one day but then a day or two later it would be blank even though the little blue light would be on showing that the monitor had power.
I had thought that it was my Video card but after going through two other video cards and then different DVI cords from the cards to the monitor I ended up digging up and old 17 " and plugged that in and never had a problem since.
SO I would check the simple things first then go from there.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Z77 supports that cpu, Z77 was meant for Ivy-bridge upgrades and also to be able to use sandy bridge they are pin compatible. The specific board says to use thie higher mem speeds you need a 22nm cpu=Ivy bridge :)

Gpu or power supply, I say power supply, its OCZ, probably is the issue :P. One way maybe is to do some benchmark testing such as Heaven DX11 bench keep an eye on temps as you go of course, if it black screens during testing then it will be the power supply at fault usually as if it were the gpu it would crash with certain BSOD codes

To me it sounds like a motherboard, or power issue, unless you memtest the ram and it says otherwise. As far as the case being an issue, if it is grounding yes, but not often the case is the issue. I hedge a guess on it being the power supply, if you have another one to rule out a power issue and maybe bring his ram to your place to memtest it for a bit?

I know for myself I would get black screen issues with certain drivers I had used for my Radeon, changing to different drivers would solve this. Just as a thought, maybe it would be a good idea to go into the bios and make sure everything is set there the way it needs to be, from the cpu clock settings, to the ram speeds, everything, as it can be something as simple as the memory timing/voltage was set improperly and this is what is causing the snaffu.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie

@dandelioneater
The PSU and GPU didn't change. The PSU should be about 2 years old.

@enaberif
Yes it does support, bought it as a bundle from ncix.

@Shadowmeph
The monitor should be less then 1 year old. It's a Samsung but forgot model type.

@Dragonstongue
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the bios if I can even get past the black screen. And I'm just going to buy a compatible RAM to test if it's actually the RAM issue since I can't memtest on my comp (comp too old, runs ddr2 haha). If the ram doesn't work then the chances that it's the PSU would be high? Also since the new i5 has built in graphics processor I am just going to unplug the GPU and use the on broad graphics to test if it's the GPU issue.

I'll update on my findings later tonight.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!
Old January 6, 2013, 01:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Could be anything when your tear down and rebuild a system. I think you PSU is alright. recheck all connections and seating of your card.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just cause you buy something as a bundle does not mean it'll work. You have no idea of revisions of a bios etc.

I assume it should.. but you never know
Old January 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
Rookie

So here's a update on the situation (was too busy to post):
- Using the integrated graphics from the new mobo/cpu instead of the GPU
- Changing the RAM for another compatible RAM

Was able to install windows safely without much problems. Kept the PC running for about a day without any problems while being able to surf the web, watch videos, and listen to music. Shut down the computer for a bit and the problem comes back, black screen, fans for cpu/case/psu and led all running though.

Now the only thing left to replace are the PSU and case... I'll recheck the wiring but there shouldn't be any problems since I already looked at it several times during installation of the other parts.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

get MSI Live Update 5 and update your hardware note not for win8