Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2013, 07:01 PM
MVP

Default computer freeze. why?

the computer is from 2010 from prebuild acer. powered parts added myself.

this computer been active since i got it. it been power up almost 24/7. 5 month shut down 2min. 7 month shut down for 4min. 12 month shut down for 2min. you get the idea. hardly shut down.

now sudden it have problems. i heard weird pattern noise from the computer... like highhhh lowwwww highhhhh lowwww but the noise is quite low. just weird pattern. then the display sudden black out. i move my mouse and the screen wont come up. after a min it come sup with an error message pop up saying

"display driver recovered from an error" something like that

then after i been getting constant lock-ups. the whole computer froze. cant even alt tab delete. had to hard reboot. boot up again and 20min lock up again. weird stuff. it never happen like this before.

i did not added any hardware in the past 12 months. i did installed AVG like 2 months ago.

i dont even want to power up the computer anymore afraid to mess up the whole computer due to too many hard reboot.

i cleaned the dust inside. it dont even have many dust.

if its the graphic card..... i dont even game for the past 2 years. quit pc gaming. boring pc games. i got 8800 gts 512mb. i hardly do intense work on this card.... when i first got the card i dont even game on it much.

i do video edit normally. like almost everyday. but that shouldnt be hard weight on the card.

i browse multiple sites at once.... like 5,6,7,8,9 tabs opened and sometimes without close.... left it on 24/7 but even when i just boot the computer and open nothing. let it idle..... for 30min....... come back....... and it freeze. weird stuff.

ram sticks and such sits nice and tight on its slot.

i jut notice my keyboard light is glowing when the computer is turned off...... and not to mention i have spilled a bit of coffee on the keyboard...... so posible that the melfuction keyboard can bring the whole machine down? and ia it normal for the keyboard light to glow when the computer is turned off?

8800 gts 512mb non overclock
3gb ram non overclock. 2x 1gb corsair/ 2x 512mb stock
500gb western digital green
zumax x2 500 watt psu
vista 32bit

Last edited by hohohee; January 2, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Have you even done anything diagnostic wise on it? I mean you are a fairly long term member here.. I'm sure by now you'd have basic diagnostic skills.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

try another video card sounds if current is failing
Old January 2, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

heat, dust ,video card problems , I would look at the motherboard and see if there is any thing swollen or burns, both the vid card and main motherboards then I would pull anything that you don't need to get the system running and go from there and then switch out the Video card with a different one. but I am only taking a wild guess because if it is say a part burned out the next thing is to figure out what caused it was it the PSU .
Old January 2, 2013, 09:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Have you even done anything diagnostic wise on it? I mean you are a fairly long term member here.. I'm sure by now you'd have basic diagnostic skills.
no i have not done any diagnostic on it yet. yeah im pretty a long member in hardcore-end pc user scene in general but im just a wannabe.

do you know any good diagnostic program to use? i have diagnose my other rig before but thats way long ago dont know what it called.

yeah i havent look at the motherboard throughly. or its really probly the graphic card i dont know. guess ill be taking it off and have a nice long boring trouble shooting..... feel lazy already. dammm why sudden problem occur? these days im lazy to be a hardcore-end user. i only surf and do basic video editing for fun and play videogames on console.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

start with events... if it freezes then crashed then try whocrash or appcrashview...

for gpu/psu/stress test then occt would be better...

i know its bitch to diagnose but good luck ;]
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:57 PM
MVP

whocrash wow what a name. i thought it was a joke. turns out it is real. cool ill check it out when im not lazy and go all out trouble shooting.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:59 PM
Rookie

I second CTA, windows event viewer can be a big help at times. It has tons of event codes and but you can google the codes and what they particularly mean. Good luck with troubleshooting.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I heard noises that were not fans coming from my system I would definitely think of it as hardware related .
Old January 2, 2013, 10:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
yeah im pretty a long member in hardcore-end pc user scene in general but im just a wannabe.
This is quote-worthy.

I suspect PSU...perhaps that noise he is complaining about is coil-whine?
Fold for team #54196