Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   is my ati cards really dead? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58890-my-ati-cards-really-dead.html)

CTA January 2, 2013 06:05 PM

is my ati cards really dead?

you know how very frustrate i am ;[ i grew to hate amd everyday and everyday and everyhour and everyhours... i wish to buy new computer (right now no money)

so i want to know if i can fix it... right now i start to believe that my cards is dead...

you know black screen with frozen keyboard that required hard reset... to be honest i have no idea what it causes because sometime it works fine for 1 months or more... sometime very randomly not work for 5 mins or whenever...

last time i format window is 25 days ago because i felt that my windows7 is unstable and slower... so i decide to reformat and reinstall everything and i was happy... but...

the problem yesterday is more notice than before....

just play dark souls then it crashed to black screen.. i reset the computer and i resume the game for hours and hours then decide to watch the movie... it crashed to black screen... sigh... reset the computer... watch the movie but it crashed instantly... screw it then go to bed...

this morning. i tried to stress the cards (single and cfx setup)... its just weird that they have no problem with dx11 heaven... but sometime it failed (black screen) or just fine after the test for 15 mins... i think dx11 heaven is not good stress tester... so i decide to use new occt and it failed everytime i tried ;\

i decide to try to beta driver as 12.11... probably one of my biggest mistake that i made... should stick to stable driver... now i cant start the computer to normal mode... except safemode... i tried to fix stupid bsod... too many problem to figure out why.. it was not ati... it was rk sound and other... i was like screw it... [but i notice that i got black screen in safe mode that i never see before] anyway... i decide to reinstall win7 again...

i reconfigure everything (12.10 btw) but i still had black screenshot problem...

tl:dr
i assume its not driver problem anymore... hardware issue with high voltage input... do you experience black screen and frozen keyboard?

is both card really died? so time to rma both card or driver, or just me?

ps. i will never buy amd or ati product... too unreliable hardware/software... (yes hd 6950 is my first and last)

my rig is on my signature: customize case, hx100, i7 955, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.

supaflyx3 January 2, 2013 06:09 PM

Well you may have just saved me a bunch of heartache. I have the same motherboard, and a 560ti and I'm having the EXACT same problems as you are, and couldn't narrow it down. My PC turns off randomly, won't turn back on etc until i fiddle with the video card and ram for a while. I would say RMA your board first. :thumb:

CTA January 2, 2013 06:21 PM

you think board is at the fault? how possible? i am not sure how or why if board is gone bad...

but did you tried any amd card on your board before?

supaflyx3 January 2, 2013 06:23 PM

I've done some research and it seems the x58 variant of the sabertooth has a lot of problems similar to that. And no I have not I've only run Nvidia cards.

CTA January 2, 2013 06:27 PM

hmmm i will find a time to search if sabertooth is really responsible... right now i need a break and hopefully it wont crash until tomorrow >_>;

CTA January 2, 2013 09:03 PM

okay i think you are right...

1. i dont able to find more information about black screen for x58... so still uncofirmed...
2. i notice that mch is very hot... south part is worse than west part.. (i just test it with disable my room temperature and turn the 30inch fan on... it seems stable)

i still cant believe if asus x58 is responsible of black screen...

so can you please tell me how to investigate the mobo more detail? or i might have to spend more cash on mobo to test ;\

NSdeadly1 January 3, 2013 12:52 PM

Have you tried a different graphics card? Tried putting a single card in each pcie slot? Tried your gpu's in another system? There are a lot of things you can try to see if your card or cards are bad or if it is your motherboard causing the issue. I am running 2 XFX hd6950's in crossfire on my Z77 Sabertooth and have no issues at all.

CTA January 3, 2013 12:57 PM

no, i dont have other system... just laptop.. and its waste of my time to drain watercooling and etc... etc... ;\

today i tried to put another zmf3 that blows at where mch is... and it much cool than yesterday... like 10c vs 50c+... and play the dark souls for 2 hours... and no crash...

my best guess is that asus x58 sabertooth is not good watercooling mobo aka fanless mobo... (not big fan of dusty mobo ;\ )

i will stress it more... later...

right now my window is not able to update... corrupted OS... ;[

jaraxle316 January 3, 2013 05:28 PM

It would be a lot easier if you have parts to swap out or other rig you can test the individual parts on. It might be dauting to disasseble and drain your loop but it will help you better since you can use diffirent PCIe slots and perhaps narrow down the problem a bit. Besides assuming you got warranty with either the board or card you will have to drain your loop anyway to RMA. :)

CTA January 3, 2013 06:33 PM

yup you are right but so far as i know...mch is the responsible for he black screen... which is much sense to me because its failed due to voltage or temperature problem... today i played fable 3 and watched lot of movie.... no crashed so far...

tomorrow i will try to stress the computer with occt...

btw it never hurt to ask here for first place... thank to supa's hint... which i overlooked...