Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2008, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Help Please (2 problems)

I just recently built a computer and installed Tiny XP, it's just like normal XP but without the bs programs.

Since last week or so, I've been getting BSOD often. I just got one while alt tabbing out of a game and quickly clicking on Mozilla Firefox.
Can someone please help fix this problem?

Another problem I'm having is when I go to Start > Turn Off Computer, it shuts windows down but once my screen goes black, the pc is still running. Weird...?

My specs:

Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor - 2.40GHz
Masscool CPU Cooling Fan
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked Video Card (waiting on Accelero S1 w/ Turbo Module)
(2) OCZ Platinum DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 1024MB)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
Sony 20X DVD Rewritable Drive
Old April 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

When you built the system, did you verify stability? i.e. Run it half a day with a couple instances of Prime95 or Memtest? Even if you're not overclocking, it's still important to do.

While that's not necessarily the problem, there's no sense chasing software problems until you know that the hardware underneath is working properly.
Old April 24, 2008, 01:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

first things first when trouble shooting... stock clocks on EVERYTHING. I'ts not unknown for factory overclocked vid cards to be a touch unstable.... Also, Alt tabbing out of games can sometimes cause unstability, some games are worse than others, and again, agrivated by unstable clock speeds.

You didnt say if you were overclocking but i'm going to assume you are, Just like MPG said, run prime95 for a while with coretemp running at the same time, if your stable for 15-20 mins without going overtemp, i'd say its not your processor clock (doesnt mean your 100% stable though, just that its probly not the cause of the bsod) If your overclocking your ram, try loosening the timings, or dropping the clocks a notch. A good way to test the cards stability is with 3dmark06, if you can go through a couple runs of that without crashing then it'd probly not be the cards if you cant get through it, download rivatuner and manually drop the clocks a bit on your cards.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old April 24, 2008, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the same gpu and with the drivers that were supplied with it were a disappointment. I had to update chipset drivers and try various gpu drivers to get the stability and performance I was looking for.
Old April 24, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

As above plus-Keep an eye on the cpu/gpu temps in realtime when your playing to see if thats the problem as well. Also if you dont link the pci settings to the FSB properly when your ocing you'll also cause instability.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 24, 2008, 08:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

Issue could lie with your TinyXP install ... Is it your first time using that slimmed down version, or have you used it succesfully with another computer before ?

It could be missing critical files, or be optimized for a different system.

Old April 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
Rookie

I am not overclocking, and yes this is my first time using TinyXP (friend gave me it)

I did mem tests and everything was fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

Then you should consider installing a full version of Windows XP to rule out hardware failure.

Later on you could make you own slimmed down version of XP with NLite.

My .02 :)

Old April 24, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Which version of tiny xp I say that it is definitely the OS some of the older versions of tiny are shaky to say the least. I think that your best bet is to either do a full install of a complete OS and just turn off the features you don't need or make a a tiny windows install using nlite and a complete windows OS . or get an updated tiny xp that you know works
Old April 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
Rookie

Ok thanks, I will definitely install full Windows XP.