Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Pc boots up to a black screen! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58777-pc-boots-up-black-screen.html)

xvl89 December 28, 2012 05:33 AM

Black Screen on boot? o.O

Hey guys,

when I boot up, it posts, windows loads, but then when it gets to the 'Select User' part, its a totally black screen!

I am however able to boot up into safe mode, which works perfectly, which is what I am doing now. I have ran Prime95 in safe mode now for about 5hours, just to make sure my pc is still performing the same, which it is. I have also ran AVG to check for virus' but it didn't find any.

What should I do? :/ :sad:

Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys,

when I boot up my PC, it posts, windows loads, but then when it gets to the 'Select User' part, its a totally black screen!

I am however able to boot up into safe mode, which works perfectly, which is what I am doing now. I have ran Prime95 in safe mode now for about 5hours, just to make sure my pc is still performing the same, which it is by the looks of things (apart from not booting lol). I have also ran AVG in safe mode.

What should I do? :/

Thanks in advance :)

i7 3770k
amd 7970 OC
700w corsair PSU
msi GD43
120G mushkin SSD
1TB wd caviar black
H100

Shadowmeph December 28, 2012 06:29 PM

Which OS? maybe in safe mode Do you have Dual monitors it might be loading up the second monitor instead of the main desktop , I have had this happen way back when I used to run two monitors.
if none of those are the case then maybe uninstall the video drivers reboot and reinstall the Video drivers

genericllama December 28, 2012 06:52 PM

could it be a boot sector error maybe? (along the lines of the MBR?) - Something to consider i suppose

KaptCrunch December 28, 2012 07:00 PM

a corrupted video driver or video card limped

stoanee December 28, 2012 08:06 PM

Make sure your monitor is working properly before you start troubleshooting............:whistle:

(I speak from experience)

MAK December 28, 2012 09:24 PM

Suggestion: check the configured screen resolution, maybe? Display drivers?

It could be that while you are loading windows it looks fine (low res screen) but then switches to a different frequency at the login screen (the configured display settings). If that is a frequency that your monitor cannot handle, you get a black screen.

I had this once on a flakey monitor; it would go black when the login screen showed up. I had to turn the monitor off/on then, and it would refresh and I could see the screen (very annoying). I ended up changing the display settings.

I don't know if in your safe mode you are using the same resolution. Try configuring the display driver with a lower resolution, a different refresh rate, etc...and rebooting into normal windows. Hope that helps.

It could be something wrong with the Display drivers. You could uninstall the display drivers (when in safe mode) and reinstall them from scratch.

KaptCrunch December 28, 2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 680783)
Make sure your monitor is working properly before you start troubleshooting............:whistle:

(I speak from experience)

yip no putting the cart before the donkey

+2

Shadowmeph December 29, 2012 10:29 AM

if it was Linux I would say that it was definitely the freq but I am not sure which OS is running. I used to always run into the freq problem in Linux had to manually change it in the Xorg.conf

BradM January 6, 2013 09:10 PM

How many monitors do you have hooked up if you have two or more, maybe try and disable the other screens and have one in safe mode, i had a problem before when i had two monitors hooked up and one of them had a loose connection, it would show the logging into windows then go black so i unplugged one and it fixed it but if this doesn't work maybe back up all your stuff, and re-install windows or try other monitors.