Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2012, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Pc Overheating? Urgent Help

Hi there,
I'll keep this short and simple. My system shuts off while playing a game sometimes and i can hear my gpu kick into high VERY HIGH rpms. I reboot and everything is normal again. I dont think my fans RPM adjust to temps. How can i do so? I'm about to play a game again with MSI afterburner to see if it helps, but i'm not sure if my CPU will also increase RPM.
Specs: Specs: -CPU: Intel i7 3770k @ Stock
-CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
-Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
-GPU: MSI R7950 3GB OC Edition
-RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance Low profile ram
-PSU: Corsair TX650M
-SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
-HDD: Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB
-Case: CM HAF X
Cheers!

My questions:
1) After doing some work, i got to use afterburner from MSI to automatically change my RPM according to temps. This has greatly reduced my temps. Is there a way to change them from the BIOS so it does this without having to have afterburner opened? I also want my CPU and case fans to change automatically if possible
2) Turns out this High RPM is not because of heat (i think). After using afterburner, and viewing the details on my Logitech 510 lcd, i see that my pc shuts off when the GPU usage hits 99 percent and 1500mb according to the lcd. But doesn't the R7950 3gb oc have 3gb of vram? Should i turn down battlefield details? I'm only on 1650x1050
3) I might have loose PSU cables from corsair (TX650M), could this be my issue? Im thinking no because this happens when i dont even touch my case.

Edit:

Woah, i moved the slider in MSI Afterburner to power limite % to the max (+20) and my GPU is at 99% and hasn't crashed. The temps are at 50c stable. but now %99 is 1000mb as opposed to the previous 1500mb. Am i reading this LCD incorrectly?

Last edited by PcWizTech; December 28, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try any dedicated stress tests? Since you have Afterburner you should be able to use its counterpart, Kombustor to check what's going on. Kombustor also displays temperatures when it runs.

1) You shouldn't have to do this at all. (Actually changing BIOS on the video card is one of the ways to void your warranty.) Since you have Afterburner open, does it crash when it reaches a certain temperature? If not you'll want to look into PSU or drivers.
2) Use GPU-Z to check the amount of memory the video card has. Turning down the settings should have almost no impact on your problem, since you'll just push more FPS and end up with the same problem anyway. (If turning down the settings does help, you may want to check if it's actually your CPU or other hardware.) If you want to reduce power consumption of the video card, you can use VSYNC since that will limit you to 60FPS or whatever your monitor is set to.
3) Possibly

On your edit: Again, GPU-Z to read stats of video card - won't be surprised if Logitech's LCD software has bugs.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Allstar

what are those 1000 and 1500mb
Old December 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

PcWizTech any pic's of the case and fan arangement (moving air in/out)

sound if you don't have enough air change inside of case.....recycling the heat from GPU
Old December 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry for the late update guys, Here is an imgur album with my case.

Updated HAF X Cable Management - Imgur
fan setup:
I hope they're like this, im pretty sure they're setup like this.
Front 200mm: Intake
Top 2x200mm: Exhuast
Side 200m: Intake
rear: exhaust

Also, my pc hasn't crashed anymore since ive had afterburner open. No lag no crash. Hitting 50-55c temps under full load. ~100-120fps.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

well, I personally do not use afterburner cause I have had it cause numerous crashes on me, so I use Sapphire Trix instead(for an MSI 7870 no less) it may not have quite as much going for it, but is simple and to the point.

Also just a suggestion, do not leave the gpu fan on auto according to temp-or at least have very few stages for the ramping. I have had 2 gpus that thier cooling fan gave out on them cause the ramping was to aggressive to often, the ramping can cause cavitation on the bearings in the fan because of the speed shifting and can cause them to prematurely fail-wear out.

You would be better to have the fan spin up to a certain speed and stay there, or at least certain % and stay there maybe 3 ramp points something like 25%-45%-75% or something like that, just a sugggestion is all.

I don`t know about anyone else, but I much prefer a constant noise then to have no noise to a blast of noise.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Turn your top fans into intakes. It sounds like with your arrangement you have negative pressure in your case (i.e. case psi is less than atmospheric psi).

I did this on my 500r and it made my noisy as heck stock 8150 cpu cooler into a silent cooler :)
Old December 29, 2012, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I actually don't have any problems with sound, and temps are fine. It only kicked into high RPM (my gpu ) and made a lot of noise. Turns out though, that my PSU cables are loose. At least i think so. I used some electrical tape to tape the two pcie cables into the psu together. Not touching the psu itself though. I'll probably take a picture of it later. So far, no issues at all :)

thanks guys :)