Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   looking for a livve cd to stress my folding box (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58753-looking-livve-cd-stress-my-folding-box.html)

Shadowmeph December 27, 2012 10:24 AM

looking for a livve cd to stress my folding box

Well after I RMAed my Asus KGpe d16 Motherboard for my folding box my reboot problems are still happening.
I have gone through every test I can possibly think of and am looking for a Live cd or usb to test my hardware. I have tried using stress linux but am not sure if it is actually doing anything .
Any suggestions would be appreciated

supaflyx3 December 27, 2012 11:31 AM

What do you mean you're not sure if its actually doing anything? Try $ top and see what the cpu usage is.

chrisk December 27, 2012 11:38 AM

I start out with a memtest boot cd and run it for a long while. I believe that the Ultimate Boot CD has some utilities on there (that I dont use)

Shadowmeph December 27, 2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 680520)
I start out with a memtest boot cd and run it for a long while. I believe that the Ultimate Boot CD has some utilities on there (that I dont use)

I have been running memtest and my system will freeze if I have CPU select on both cpus runing but if I set the cpu select to seq memtest -86v4.0b Server works fine.

when I use the live stress linux CD and type in burnK7
the cursor just moves down to the next line and thats it if I feel the top of my cpu coolers they are barely warm.
I am not sure how to use the Stress command to stress out both CPUs

frontier204 December 28, 2012 06:57 AM

BurnK7 is a single CPU stress test, not to mention it's not very stressful. If you want to run that on all CPUs you use the "&":

Code:

burnK7 & burnK7 & burnK7 & burnK7
(That will start up four of them.)

To stop it, the easiest way is probably to just kill the tasks:
Code:

killall burnK7
It's a bit inconvenient but you can download mprime and run that on a live CD, which is what I normally do. When starting it up in a terminal it gives you the same options as the Windows version. Select "Just stress testing", then pick one of the tests (e.g. blend test). That runs on all CPUs.

For your memtest, make sure you're using the latest version of memtest86+.

3.0charlie December 28, 2012 07:17 AM

Hold on -
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 680531)
I have been running memtest and my system will freeze if I have CPU select on both cpus runing

What ram are you using, is it set to ECC or not, voltage properly set, NUMA too? Also, is the board stable when you swap the chip - I mean, test a single CPU and replace in the same socket by the second CPU. Is it stable?

I foresee 3 possible issues here: dead ram stick, improper ram setting or dying CPU. A fourth would be the PSU, but I think you replaced it?

Shadowmeph December 28, 2012 05:50 PM

ok so charlie you are saying to pull one of the cpus and just run single cpu?. I am using non ecc ram the kingston value ram.
The PSU is brand new and I have been trying to test with single sticks per cpu but no matter which stick I use the same thing happens. ram settings are on auto right now I am not sure that that I can run the ram at 1333 mhz the max in the bios shows 800mhz.
the other strange this is that I can use Linx but I cannot run OCCT becasue my system reboots while OCCT is loading lol

3.0charlie December 28, 2012 05:56 PM

Yup, use a single socket and test using a single ram stick (proper voltage, speed and ram slot per manual). If stable, swap CPU in the same socket. Stable again? Use socket #2 and try both CPUs again.

Man, this brings back nightmares from my SR-2 testing...

Shadowmeph December 28, 2012 06:03 PM

I hope something works out I have been going through this exact same thing for over 2 months I bought these spicy 6234 chips off of DT and these are the second set the first set did the same exact thing so DT replaced the chips same thing happening so I RMAed the board still the same thing grrr . I just want to get up and running so I can fold once again.

3.0charlie December 28, 2012 06:10 PM

Which BIOS are you running? Anything older than version 2005 will be an issue when using IL chips. ASUS - Server & Workstation- ASUS KGPE-D16
Do you still have the 6128s? If so, can you test the board with one?