Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Keylogger on my PC (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58667-keylogger-my-pc.html)

Energy December 22, 2012 04:43 PM

Keylogger on my PC

So, I'm going to try to get as much info into this post as I can, so we don't have to talk back and forth forever.

First off, my system specs.

CPU: AMD FX-8150
CASE: THERMALTAKE DOKKER
GPU: EVGA 660TI FTW EDITION
PSU: 750 WATT CORSAIR 80+ GOLD
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A97
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16 GB
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM (Windows) 2TB 7200RPM (Videos)
SOUND CARD: ASUS XONAR DG

I am upgrading on Friday, with these changes:

CPU: i7 3770k
CASE: THERMALTAKE CHASER MK-1
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z77 Pro4

Now, A few weeks back I was watching a livestream and some person linked a keylogging download. Of course I didn't know it and I was stupid enough to click it. Now, this morning, I go on skype and I see that it said I linked a picture to everyone of my friends, which of course I didn't. So I do a full scan with Windows Defender and I find 3 viruses. I delete them and nothing happens after that. But, I am still not sure if it is gone.

Now, probably every one of you will say reformat, but I bought this PC online a year ago, and it came with windows 7 installed. And I got the windows 8 upgrade online, therefore I don't have a disc to reformat. Any other way to get this all fixed? Or do you recommend me to buy Windows 8 on newegg, then reformat?

dandelioneater December 22, 2012 04:56 PM

So you don't have any windows dvds? 7 or 8? If you an borrow a disk from someone or get a computer store to burn you one you can just use your microsoft keys to activate after using the install disks. I wouldn't go out and buy another copy of windows just yet. Maybe someone on here can burn you a copy of the windows disk(s) you need.

Energy December 22, 2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelioneater (Post 679634)
So you don't have any windows dvds? 7 or 8? If you an borrow a disk from someone or get a computer store to burn you one you can just use your microsoft keys to activate after using the install disks. I wouldn't go out and buy another copy of windows just yet. Maybe someone on here can burn you a copy of the windows disk(s) you need.

I don't have one and none of my friends do either.

dandelioneater December 22, 2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 679639)
I don't have one and none of my friends do either.

So you were just planning on swapping the drive over to the new build already with WIn 8 on it i presume? Usually its best to do a clean install when changing over to new gear. I think going from AMD to intel hardware would definitely warrant a clean install IMHO. If your scans show no more viruses or malicious files, you should be ok, but ya never know. I would try to get a disk from somewhere. Its better to get a guy at a computer store to burn you a disk for 10 bucks or whatever then go out and hand M$ another 80 bucks for their lame OS. That's just my $0.02. Then you can be sure that your new build will be in top shape.

Energy December 22, 2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelioneater (Post 679641)
So you were just planning on swapping the drive over to the new build already with WIn 8 on it i presume? Usually its best to do a clean install when changing over to new gear. I think going from AMD to intel hardware would definitely warrant a clean install IMHO. If your scans show no more viruses or malicious files, you should be ok, but ya never know. I would try to get a disk from somewhere. Its better to get a guy at a computer store to burn you a disk for 10 bucks or whatever then go out and hand M$ another 80 bucks for their lame OS. That's just my $0.02. Then you can be sure that your new build will be in top shape.

Alright, well I don't kid you when I say, there isn't a single computer store around. So my best bet is to buy Windows 8 and clean that whole drive with a new install of windows8?

Nodscene December 22, 2012 07:46 PM

If you want to be 100% sure then yes. Otherwise do a scan with combofix (only download from bleepingcomputer), norton power eraser, and Malwarebytes. If they don't find anything then you should be good.

DarKStar December 22, 2012 07:57 PM

lol ! windows defender, forget about that ! Anti-virus is so limited.

What you need is something that will look deeper and remove all types of MALWARE, not just virus infection.

Personally I use AVIRA (paid for, AVIRA Premium) combined with Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware + hijackthis these will look depeer and remove any residues or things left behind / undetected by other programs. You need good protection to stop those malware before they infect in the first place....and even more importantly, a good firewall protecting not only incoming BUT outgoing as well. Try looking at your task manager and look for any unusual processes still running - if you are not sure, report here to take a look at it, or search for the process name in google. If you are using the right combination of software, you might not have to reformat after all - :D Never had to.

Perineum December 22, 2012 09:12 PM

Windows ISOs are easily found online. All you're really paying for is the license key. I certainly wouldn't buy another copy.

Bloodystumps December 22, 2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 679678)
Windows ISOs are easily found online. All you're really paying for is the license key. I certainly wouldn't buy another copy.

That's what I was thinking if he downloaded win8 then he can sign in and re download it? this time I would D/L it to a thumb drive so you have a copy and don't have to waste time D/Ling it again.

Energy December 23, 2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 679684)
That's what I was thinking if he downloaded win8 then he can sign in and re download it? this time I would D/L it to a thumb drive so you have a copy and don't have to waste time D/Ling it again.

Alrighty, will try to set this up for friday when my parts come! Thank you guys for all the help!