Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Temporary screen corruption on Laptop

Hi all,

Today I woke up my Samsung QX411 from sleep mode to be treated to this, which luckily went away now Can someone enlighten me as to what this is and what I can do about it?

(If the picture doesn't load for you, what I see is horizontally, left 1/3 of the screen looks normal, the middle 1/3 of the screen is pure white (well as white as the display can render), and the right 1/3 of the screen is a bunch of vertical bars.

I first saw it in the Windows 8 OS, and it survived a "cold" boot. Obviously it's not OS because that's the BIOS screen being corrupted. One cold boot later, the display switched to another funky configuration, with the left and right side of the screen being the same, and the white still there:

When I tried to boot the OS into the state I had above, Windows 8 gave me one of those sad face BSODs, but obviously I couldn't read the error with the screen so messed up.

For now, as my joke in my sig states, I used the little shutdown button on the bottom of the laptop, and problems magically disappeared after the "full" shutdown + a visit to the BIOS screen + another shutdown. Also, Windows 8 boots normally again...

So what went wrong with this laptop, and what tests should I subject it to, if anything?

----------------------------------------------
The configuration of the laptop is as follows:
Chassis: Samsung QX411 1366x768 14.1" screen
CPU: Core i5 2410M
RAM: 4GB (1x 4GB)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics + GeForce 525M (Optimus)
HDD: Seagate Momentus XT 320GB

(no peripherals were plugged into the laptop at the time)
Old December 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

UPDATE: The laptop also sleeps properly again...
Digging into the event logs, the only note that anything happened was a VPU recover on the Intel graphics. "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Old December 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

video is overheating
Old December 16, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hook a external monitor up and if the corruption goes away then you got a panel issue. Most gpu issues can be replicated across to the secondary monitor.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Hook a external monitor up and if the corruption goes away then you got a panel issue. Most gpu issues can be replicated across to the secondary monitor.
A+ on elimination fault
Old December 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks! The laptop is back to normal for now, but I'll remember the secondary monitor if it happens again.
It's able to pass ~4 hours of MSI Kombustor forced on the IGP, so I guess it's not that close to dying out yet...
Old December 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I jinxed myself

The corruption came back for a few minutes and went away. It was ONLY visible on the laptop's display.

With either a VGA cable or an HDMI cable connected to an external monitor (which ran at the same resolution as the laptop's display) there was no corruption at all. Also with the external monitor, I ran MSI Afterburner on both the nVidia GPU and the IGP and there was no artifacts. (I confirmed it was running on IGP and GPU by looking at GPU-Z and the frame rate difference between the IGP running Kombustor and the GPU running Kombustor.)

Is this a dying panel / connection to panel?
Old December 17, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is generally a panel issue acting up. It can be at times cable or inverter but rarely.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Double-confirmed... it's the panel.
I just ripped the laptop apart (with no damage to plastic parts by using big zipties as prying tools). I got the protective cover off the panel and I can reproduce the issue by applying physical pressure to the bottom centre of the panel. (See pic)

Edit: Tugging on the wire makes a different type of corruption on the display (more like what would happen if you had a messed up VGA cable).
Old December 17, 2012, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

replace ribbon