Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2012, 06:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I have a complete P4 system built with OK parts I'd send you for $50 total. It's built with decent parts, not branded. ASUS P4P8X, P4 NW 533MHz FSB 2.8GHz, 4X512MB (for 2GB) PC2700, Nvidia 6200 AGP, SIlverstone Etasis 300W PSU and a 40GB HD with XP already on it. I keep it for when my PC is dead, but I can spare it for someone with a need and not much $$$.
Best option so far
Old December 9, 2012, 07:37 PM
Allstar

Could it be shutting down due to overheating? I would try cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste before replacing parts.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IBM/Lenovo computers do the power cycle (on/off) when AC restored by default.

If it is constantly doing this, my advice is to do a quick visual check the motherboard for any leaking or bulging caps.

If it is only doing this after a proper power button press, it may be confused if you changed the video card from PCI to PCI-E or onboard (some models are dumb and don't know how to autodetect).

Here is my reasoning after working with a ton of dead IBM/Lenovo M series towers recently:

Check if the original PSU's fan spins, as their PSU OEMs usually use cheapo fans and the bearings seize -- T&T is a brand of fans that are used in their Lite-ON PSUs and I've seen many of them fail recently.

If the PSU fan doesn't spin, or if the unit gets really hot (so hot you can smell the burning), it's possible the PSU's caps are going.

If the PSU has been running like this for a long time, the voltages go all out of whack and the VRM on the mobo can get stressed and lead to the caps failing prematurely.

Check the caps near:
- south bridge
- north bridge
- PCI/PCI-E slot for the GPU
- CPU VRM