Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2012, 04:38 PM
Rookie

Default Removing Dual Boot

Hi everyone,
I have a Bestbyte Dual Boot computer (on 2 separate hard drives-both XP) that I want to convert to a
single boot and use the second drive for backup.
The bootdrive I want to remove is the "Home Music" drive. To do this, do I just need to remove the
Home Music line (starting from multi(0)) from the boot.ini file below?

Bestbyte Dual Boot Computer (boot ini)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Music" /noexecute=optin
/fastdetect

thanks for any help,

Paul

Last edited by bstring; December 7, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

1. Start the computer from an MS-DOS floppy disk that contains the Sys.com file. Sys the boot drive to MS-DOS by typing the following command at a command prompt:
    a:\>sys c:
    After you type this command, you receive a system transferred message when the procedure is finished.

NOTE: This command disables the Windows boot loader so that the computer boots MS-DOS when booting from the computer's hard disk. You must repair the Windows boot loader after you use the following steps.
  2. Reboot the computer from the computer's hard disk to a command prompt and install MS-DOS on the computer if it is not already installed.
  3. After you completely install MS-DOS and reboot, restart your computer by using the Windows Setup disks. During Setup, select R to repair Windows.

NOTE: You need to repair only the Windows boot sector. Do not choose to inspect the registry files, the Windows system files, or the Windows boot environment during this procedure.
  4. After you repair the Windows boot sector, you need to manually edit the Boot.ini file to include an option to boot to MS-DOS. The Boot.ini file is a read-only, hidden, system file that is located in the root folder of the boot drive. Add the following line to the Boot.ini file under the operating systems section:c:\="Microsoft DOS".
Old December 7, 2012, 05:42 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply!!

I'm a little unsettled with this, since I haven't used the command prompt for over a decade. I believe I use to use a:\sys c: prior to formatting a drive to re-install windows.
A couple of things are a problem for me if the above procedure is the only way I can take out the dual boot.
I don't have a floppy drive bay or a disk with DOS on it.

Another Note: When I'm in the Home Edition drive or Home Music drive, I can't see the extra drive in "my computer". So that makes me think it will need more steps other than changing the boot.ini file.

thanks again,

Paul

Last edited by bstring; December 8, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Rookie

I want to thank KaptCrunch for the help. I've removed the dual boot and so far
everything seems to be fine. I did run into one problem which was the computer
hanging at bootup and this was because the "Data" Drive (D:) was the listed first
in the BIOS. I changed it to the "Home" drive and it's fine now. The "Home" drive
was "Ch 0" on the motherboard and I found this out by removing the SATA cables of
the two (250 GB) drives (one at a time) and rebooting. After it appeared to be
booting ok, I went into disk management and put drive (F:) on the music hard
drive. It now appears in "my computer". I haven't formatting the drive yet as I
ran out of time, but I shouldn't have any problems with that now.

So once again thanks for your help!