Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   game crash( kind of ) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58363-game-crash-kind.html)

ravenger December 7, 2012 05:36 AM

game crash( kind of )

So what happens is im playing and without a warning screen turns black and it pops up at the desktop. The game still goes on, i still have audio but i dont have any video. I think its my video card its a gtx 670 i got a month ago. This happens every few days all on the same game but its not the most intensive(wargame:european escalation). I did do some overclocking is this behavior symtoms of lack of voltage?

Another issue i have is in some games like planetside 2 it will freeze for a second or two come back and i will be getting 20 fps when i normally get 60 and doesnt fix itself until i restart the game.

BradM January 7, 2013 07:06 PM

Overclocking could be a major issue as it is almost pointless to overclock a graphics card because in the end you will only get a couple more fps's, if you can restore the graphics cards setting back to default like the overclock settings. Overclocking a GPU isn't like overclocking a CPU as a CPU is easier to make stable and GPU's are very hard to make stable so try to restore the overclock setting and the 670 is alreadys a best card why overclock it.

enaberif January 7, 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradM (Post 682925)
Overclocking could be a major issue as it is almost pointless to overclock a graphics card because in the end you will only get a couple more fps's, if you can restore the graphics cards setting back to default like the overclock settings. Overclocking a GPU isn't like overclocking a CPU as a CPU is easier to make stable and GPU's are very hard to make stable so try to restore the overclock setting and the 670 is alreadys a best card why overclock it.

Overclocking a GPU is far from pointless. Overclocking a card can make it run faster and sustain a more stable FPS.

My GTX 560ti can be overclocked to run as good as a GTX 570 for half the cost.

Dzzope January 8, 2013 02:15 AM

I'm having this same issue in 2 of my games, it's the graphics driver crashing.. minimize the game for about 5 seconds or so and then go back in,
Really annoying and I'd love to get to the root of it myself, I think I'll be doing a fresh install and see how it goes.

sf101 January 8, 2013 11:07 AM

actually ocing my 7970 gave me massive gains in fps and minimum fps esp.

if its not getting enough voltage you will have driver crashes ect.

Bloodystumps January 8, 2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 682976)
I'm having this same issue in 2 of my games, it's the graphics driver crashing.. minimize the game for about 5 seconds or so and then go back in,
Really annoying and I'd love to get to the root of it myself, I think I'll be doing a fresh install and see how it goes.

that is interesting I have 6950's in crossfire and I get that in Cod4 but with a small window that pops for a split second and desktops then back in to game like nothing happened all taking a fraction of a second , I've yet to investigate it because I don't have the time yet.