Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2012, 10:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Monitor Turns Off during reboot

When I reboot my system one of my monitors turns itself off. It is not the end of the world as the fix is to press the on-off button (twice for some reason) and it comes back on. I've looked through the menu on the monitor there is nothing about auto-off. It is one monitor of three. Curiously this monitor (#3 of 3) is identical to #1. which does not shut off during reboot. Only monitors 1 & 3 show the bios boot up, the centre monitor is off until I get to the windows log in, only 1 & 3 show the dual boot option (which comes up in DOS format not the Windows 8 graphic format).

Just a bit of a bother, it works fine, just needs me to reach over an turn it back on, it just bugs me about why it does this.

:)

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 2, 2012, 11:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It does this on a restart, but if I select power off, when I turn the system back on the monitor comes back on with the rest of the system. Weird?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried swapping the cables? Almost makes me think that one of the pins isn't passing a wakeup signal to the monitor.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Probably AMD's Catalyst

The quest to find the cause continues but I think I've narrowed the problem down to AMD's Catalyst Program in Win8.

The monitor does not shut off when I do a full shut down and then turn the PC back on again, the monitor fires up just fine (a few seconds after the left hand monitor which always comes on first, these are identical monitors). Both show the bios boot screen, then the DOS style OS choice screen. The Center monitor does not work until either Windows 7 or 8 is loaded.

It also does not shut itself off if I reboot from Windows 7.

I recently totally cleared my Win8 OS SSD, reformatted it and reloaded Windows 8. (I was getting lots of "Error 2203" and all efforts to correct that error were failing). So I reloaded Windows 8, and lo and behold the monitor did not shut off during the reboot, . . . until I loaded AMD's Catalyst program. Now that is part of a package of programs loaded as utilities from my motherboard's CD, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with Catalyst as that program manages the displays & obviously the monitors.

I also was able to get Adobe Elements to work in Win8 with my Win8 reset. I'll have to see if any of the games will load and play in my renewed Win8, or not. Maybe I'll just be happy they work in Win7.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 7, 2012, 09:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Have you tried swapping the cables? Almost makes me think that one of the pins isn't passing a wakeup signal to the monitor.
If it was a cable it would not matter whether I was rebooting from Win7 or Win8, or so my thinking goes.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 9, 2012, 04:47 AM
Rookie

I did not read that you uninstall and reinstall the catalyst? Guess it is good to try it.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonkurt View Post
I did not read that you uninstall and reinstall the catalyst? Guess it is good to try it.
Yep, and I even have tried the new beta release to see if any of the fixes address this issue, ... nope. Still need to press that power button three time if I select restart in Windows 8. Just a curious oddity. If that is the worst problem I'll have, I'll take it.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

turn off the green future for moniter
Old December 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Green Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
turn off the green future for moniter
OK - how do I do that, never seen "green future" in any of my settings.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

i see that cmos doesn't give any settings

try here MS