Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Debug error 18 on x58 sli LE

Hey all,

I just got this board today and installed my 920 on it with 3x4 gig patriot sector 5 ram 1333mhz. I am also using an asus gtx 560. When i first turned on the pc, i got debug code FF and that's it. It wouldnt go any further, I read the manual and it said it, means, "Boot".

I took the board out, reseated the cpu, used one stick of ram and then booted and this time i was successful and got the beep from the mobo and got into bios. I then turned off the system, and plugged in video card, took the power cable out. Cleared cmos and then plugged the other two sticks of ram, and again it was successful and got into bios. There I changed the first boot option to cd, so I could install windows. I then hit exit and save changes. The system reset and this time didnt get the beep and got stuck on "18" on debug light.

I then tried a few things, removed all the HDD's and removed all the sticks of ram but one and rebooted, same issue, got stuck on "18".

I then swapped ram and cleared cmos again after plugging the power cable out. I got into bios again, changed the boot settngs to boot from cd first, saved changes and exit. The system reset and then it got stuck at "18".

On the manual debug code 18 means, "CPU ID and intialize L1/L2 cache"

I am not sure what else to try. I tried to cpu in an EVGA FTW board and it worked there. Is there anything I can try and or anyone out there aware of this code 18?

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old November 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Is it POSTing, or is it instant 'FF'? If yes, FAQ ID # 58590 - Instant FF post code Troubleshooting guide and video
Old November 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It posts, but I dont get the beep. It passes the FF and then goes through some other codes and gets stick at 18.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

FF generally means board failure from past experience.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I can get into bios when I clear cmos, and when they reboot from there, that's when the debug gets stuck into 18.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What Board is this on ?
If EVGA what Bios is it on ? Up date to latest if you can ?
Old November 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I tried that, but I cannot boot into anything once I clear cmos and get into bios. Thegentleman I bought the board from is going to give me a different board as he is a SICK Seller and always stands behind his products!

He is 10e. Thanks all