Core i7 2600K CPU
Western Digital 3TB Green HD
Intel 510 120GB SSD (SSDSC2MH120A2)
Seasonic Passive power supply
Passive cooled HD6770 Graphics
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz memory.
IR USB
Ceton Infini USB Tuner

I started noticing random BSOD's a few months ago and dug through the logs to find that a stick of RAM had gone bad. Windows only recognized one stick also. I replaced both sticks with new Vengeance RAM and then a few weeks later, noticed more BSODs randomly. During POST, the onboard controller showed one of my 3TB drives going bad (At the time I had two in a RAID-0). I opened Intel's rapid storage manager and it confirmed that one showed "failed". The data was still accessible, but the system would BSOD as soon as I attempted to copy files to a network location. I ran WD diagnostics and they also locked up and confirmed the problem with the disk. I've since removed the failed drive and have been running the single 3TB "good" drive since.

When I dropped to the single 3TB drive, I decided to do a complete reformat and reconfiguration of my media center for a fresh start, which was about 3 weeks ago. Everything has been running fine until I started doing some handbrake conversion tasks while copying data from the 3TB drive to a network share when the system would throw up random BSODs. Now, when I try to copy just one file to a network share, i get a BSOD every time just like before. However, HD diagnostics now come back clean with no errors or evidence of a bad drive. What's also interesting is that the system appears to be fine when recording TV to the drive and copying locally between the 3TB drive and the SSD. But literally 10 seconds after i start a network copy, it shoots a BSOD.

I used bluescreeview to analyze the memory dumps and found that the crashes are being caused by hal.dll (see below)

113012-8049-02.dmp
11/30/2012 9:02:33 AM
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000000 fffff800`031ec488
hal.dll
hal.dll+2488 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 C:\Windows\Minidump\113012-8049-02.dmp 8 15 7601 277,224

The only information i can find is that hal.dll is simply hardware extraction layer and errors from this file typically result from bad hardware. While its possible the dll itself is corrupt, it seems unlikely in my case, given that I've done a complete system reformat after the original problems started happening.

I've downloaded HDD temp monitors as well as core temp and have been monitoring GPU temps in catalyst. All seem normal. I've confirmed BSOD occurrences while HDD temps were at 36C and CPU temps were at 45C.

At this point I'm completely stumped on what could be causing these issues. Aside from buying and replacing each component one by one, does anyone else have suggestions that could be the cause of these issues?

I've considered heat related to Case temps (PSU, HD or motherboard), but it seems unlikely. The air inside the case doesn't feel too warm. The system can run handbrake for days without a problem. The errors seems to revolved around copying data from my 3TB drive to a network location.

My next step is to remove the 3TB drive and grab a new drive that has never been used before and slap it into a USB 3.0 enclosure and see if the problems persist. I'm also running extended HDD diagnostics on both the SSD and the 3TB drive, but won't have results for at least 8 hours.

Just to note, I've updated to the latest drivers and BIOS for all of my hardware.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Allstar

I assume you meant RAID 1 and not RAID 0. A drive failure in RAID 0 will take everything with it. That said, those tempos are within normal tolerances. While it may be easier to check the drive, I'd also look at the PSU and first off the network connection. If you have more than one port on the motherboard, try using the other connetion and see if it happens.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I assume you meant RAID 1 and not RAID 0. A drive failure in RAID 0 will take everything with it. That said, those tempos are within normal tolerances. While it may be easier to check the drive, I'd also look at the PSU and first off the network connection. If you have more than one port on the motherboard, try using the other connetion and see if it happens.
Actually I did mean RAID-0. Although the drive showed FAILED during POST and in the Intel Storage Manager as well as failed during WD diagnostics, the volume was still accessible, although not stable.

I was able to copy all data off to another local disk before dismantling the RAID for this reason.

I went ahead and ordered an Intel PCI-E network adapter to test with and i'll try changing ports on the motherboard tonight. I do know that the Intel SSD is using one of the two SATA6 connections, which is a different controller chip if i'm not mistaken. I'll see if i can swap the 3TB drive to a port that is connected to a different storage chip.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I suspect your motherboard drive controller. Did you try the "failed" drive in another computer to make sure it was actually defective?

Edit: Is your mobo a new B3 revision? Remember that Intel recalled their initial production of P67 chips due to a drive controller defect. If it's the old version, this may be the issue.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I suspect your motherboard drive controller. Did you try the "failed" drive in another computer to make sure it was actually defective?

Edit: Is your mobo a new B3 revision? Remember that Intel recalled their initial production of P67 chips due to a drive controller defect. If it's the old version, this may be the issue.
When I ran the WD diagnostics, which the drive failed, it was plugged into a secondary PC.

I remember vaguely the SATA issue and the B3 revision. I double checked the order i placed with newegg last year (10-2011) when I purchased the board and it does look like it is the B3 revision:

Newegg.com - ASUS P8H67-M EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Old November 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rookie

I just checked the ASUS site and noticed they released a BIOS update on 11/28/12 (2 days ago). I haven't downloaded this one yet, so I'm going to do that as well and see if that solves anything.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
Rookie

To reply to you SugarJ (I think my other post may have not went through or was delayed):

I did run the WD diagnostics on the first "failed" drive from a different PC, so it seems that the drive was legitimately bad (or at least failed the diagnostics). Who knows what the cause was.

I checked and I do have the B3 revision that fixes that SATA issue.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OK, good, at least we're eliminating things. It's kind of unusual that you'd have multiple failures like your memory and HDD.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:39 PM
Rookie

yeah i was thinking the same thing, which leads me to perhaps a board/PSU issue.

I just updated to the latest BIOS released a few days ago. That didn't solve it. I'm going to remove the drive and put it in a USB enclosure and then connect a PCI NIC and see what happens
Old December 1, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Multiple failures you should start looking to either a bad power supply or bad power to your home. Invest in a UPS if you don't have one already.

Tags
bsod , failure , hard drive , memory , reboot