Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   how to get data off a HDD that says unallocated (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58193-how-get-data-off-hdd-says-unallocated.html)

Soullessone21 November 29, 2012 10:02 AM

how to get data off a HDD that says unallocated

So I got a external drive here the board with usb and power are destroyed. hard drive is fine pulled it and plugged it into a usb enclosure and get "Unallocated Drive" cant change drive letter or anything but the data is mission critical is there any software to reinitialize the drive so I can get the data off?

Nodscene November 29, 2012 10:09 AM

The simplest and easiest would to just use recovery software to get the data off. Be careful as not all of them will recover from unallocated space. Reinitializing the drive will probably not help as you would need to format the drive and there is a good chance your data won't be accessible, once again requiring you to use recovery software. There are more complex ways to fix if it's just the partition structure missing but I'm sure you don't want to start using a hex editor :)

chrisk November 29, 2012 10:22 AM

Recover My Files might be a good solution. (blocked here at work) Give the free trial a run and see if its worth your while to pay the $40 to get the data off.

Soullessone21 November 29, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 674231)
Recover My Files might be a good solution. (blocked here at work) Give the free trial a run and see if its worth your while to pay the $40 to get the data off.

on block 100,000,000 of 3,000,000,000 haha

Soullessone21 December 18, 2012 12:26 PM

I'll Necro my own thread, still SOL on this drive thanks chrisk the program sees the files but even the paid doesnt do anything but attempt to restore for days gave it a week then gave up. Any other ones out there?

AkG December 18, 2012 01:10 PM

Maybe give SpinRite a whirl? Or try DD_Rescue (ie use a linuix distro and mount it...which DD_rescue basically is)?

Edit:
Or maybe Testdisk?

Soullessone21 December 18, 2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 678734)
Maybe give SpinRite a whirl? Or try DD_Rescue?

are any of these free or have "free" methods to download them?

AkG December 18, 2012 01:16 PM

LOL...I think I ninja edited you mate.

First thing I would do would be to mount it via Linuix distro....which DD_Rescue basically is. IF you cant mount it in nix enviro...then its time to 'find' the big guns. TestDisk is FOSS...SpinRite is not...but can be found. ;)

Soullessone21 December 18, 2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 678736)
LOL...I think I ninja edited you mate.

First thing I would do would be to mount it via Linuix distro....which DD_Rescue basically is. IF you cant mount it in nix enviro...then its time to 'find' the big guns. TestDisk is FOSS...SpinRite is not...but can be found. ;)

awesome thanks time to fire up the backup rig tonight :)

Nodscene December 18, 2012 04:25 PM

I don't really see how spinrite is going to help although there is a small chance that the partition information is on a bad sector and spinrite will move it to a good sector. I guess it's worth a shot.