Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Question Trouble-Shooting a Small Video Camera - Bloggie or Flip or ?

I am trying to set up a small video camera.

The camera is OK. What I am having trouble with is the Audio. The camera I am using is the Craig CCR-9002. It is a cheapo 640 x 480 video camera, with a built in microphone.

They have a jack labelled "AV", which I am still trying to figure out. They were sold back in about 2009, I got them for about $25 each. There is some variability in the units. I tested 2 that I recorded with a week ago, one stood out as having a better mike.

But it's still low-fi. So I have been shopping. I looked at the Sony Bloggie at one store. I like it because it is smaller. There are 4 different models of the Bloggie on Sony's website. They also make a camera called the "Webbie".

Sony eSupport - Bloggie/Webbie HD™ Camera - Select Your Model

The Sony Bloggie is a decent unit. But all it has for audio is some holes in the side of the case. No jack for hooking up an external mic. $100-ish.

Moving on to the Flip - the Flip was great. But Cisco stopped making them. You can still find them, but they cost. Amazon has the Flip's. $150 and up.

Amazon.com: Flip Video: Camera & Photo

What I would like to do is to wear the camera in my shirt pocket, and to run a cable to an external mic clipped to my collar.

Right now I'm getting ready for a recording session tomorrow. Thought I would ask you guys for help.

Can anybody recommend a small fits-in-a-shirt-pocket webcam that can hook up an external mike ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS - about the PC interface. The Craig, and I think the Bloggie and the Flip, have flip-out/ slide-out USB connectors to connect to a PC. On Windows 7, no drivers necessary.

The internal memory on the Craig is a postage stamp size memory module. I forget the exact name - SD ? They can be upgraded. Most of my Craig's have 2 GB modules, I bought an 8 GB module for one of them