Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Broke Motherboard? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/58174-broke-motherboard.html)

Energy November 28, 2012 05:18 PM

Broke Motherboard?

Well, where to start.

So, as some of you guys know, I recently got an EVGA 660 Ti, 16GB Corsair Vengeance ram, and windows 8. It worked out very well, until I saw how fast my CPU was going. My CPU is the FX-8150 (Please don't tell me AMD sucks, I know lol). It's normal speed is 3.60 GHz, but mine was only going 2.65. So, I knew this wasn't right because it use to go 3.60. So, I rebooted my PC and went into the bios, and turned on the turbo mode and the OC tuner. Then, my PC's screen went black and my pc was just running, but not showing.

Now, I know it isn't my monitor, because I tried it on three different ones.
I then let my PC sit without any of the cords connected for 10 minutes, and it still didn't work. Now, I think it's my motherboard because none of my USB slots work either. Did this ever happen to you? Would this be fixed when I get my i7 and my new motherboard? Any help would make me grateful.

supaflyx3 November 28, 2012 05:31 PM

That's a feature of AMD's CoolnQuiet. Reset the CMOS and report back.

Energy November 28, 2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 674074)
That's a feature of AMD's CoolnQuiet. Reset the CMOS and report back.

Sadly, I can't find how to reset the CMOS on the ASUS M5A97, and I couldn't find the jumper on my mother board =[

And I kept the Cool n' Quiet on, but turned "Turbo" to "On" and "OC Tuner" to "On" and that's what screwed up my pc.

supaflyx3 November 28, 2012 05:46 PM

Just pull the battery and leave it out for 10 minutes.

Perineum November 28, 2012 06:10 PM

and remove the power cord while doing so for good measure.

Energy November 28, 2012 06:19 PM

Omg thank you so much! Now I won't have to not be here for the launch of Far cry 3 =D. But I still need my CPU to be at the speed it's suppose to be, so to do that, do I need to turn off the Cool n' Quiet option?

supaflyx3 November 28, 2012 06:23 PM

There is no reason to disable it, the CPU will overclock itself while at load. Load up Prime95 while watching CPU-Z.

dandelioneater November 28, 2012 07:04 PM

If the prime95 test still shows a drop in frequency and temperatures are good, then you could need a bios update. I had similair issue with my fx-6100 and gigabyte board a while back. Gigabyte took forever to release a proper bios that would allow AMD Turbo Core to function properly with the new bulldozer cpu's. I don't think ASUS boards had the same issue, but nevertheless, it could be something to check if your problem persists. I looked at ASUS's site for the M5A97 motherboard and it seems that there are about 3 recent bios releases that ''improve stability''. Depending on what bios version your motherboard has, a bios update might be something to consider after all other possibilites have been tried. My 0.02cents.

KaptCrunch November 28, 2012 07:05 PM

M5A97 BIOS 1605 is the current 2012.10.31

use your MB setup disk and load ASUS AI Suite II to update your bios if needed be

never use cool n quite when OC for under clocks cpu hench runs cool n quite

Energy November 28, 2012 07:25 PM

I didn't want to overclock, just wanted my CPU to the speed it is said to be at, and I got it to that so no worries =) Thanks for your time guys.