LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default stupid Belkin surge protector

I was having problems with my
folding system
It seems that my whole problem was my belkin 12 outlet surge protector.
I have my main pc (AMD 1100t be 6core watercooled) , my 27"HDTV(which doubles as my monitor) 17" monitor and had my folder which is the KGPE D16 with 2x 6234 spicy chip. even though everything seemed ok ( meaning all the parts) and ran perfectly with my original 6128 chips in it.

But I decided to buy a brand new PSU and connected it to my system but the same dam thing happened.
I had enough, so I contact via email Asus in hopes of RMAing the mother board, and as I waited for a reply from Asus I moved the motherboard to a different part of the room and plugged in the psu into a wall outlet to try and overclock these cpus which easily oced to 3ghz. i then fired up fah6 -bigadv . well that was 2days 13 hours Amd 22 minutes ago.

This doesn't make any sense to me what so ever don't get me wrong I am not complaining at all.
I thought that if there was \is to much power pulled through the Belkin surge protector that it would shut off but it doesn't.
It seems to just reset the one plugin. because my other system is running 24\7 folding .

I really wished that I had discovered this 3 weeks ago when I had my first set of 6234 spicy chips because I would have saved some time and money sending those chips back.

Now I need to learn how to oc better and also try to find some water cooling blocks for those chips :).
Old November 26, 2012, 04:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

smart Belkin surge protector you mean i too find that strange for usally the bar shuts down not one outlet

use a watt meter to see what that system is pulling from wall just curious for most wallout delivers 1800watts unless is shared line
Old November 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I was having problems with my
folding system It seems that my whole problem was my belkin 12 outlet surge protector..
Are you talking about a surge protector or something completely different - a UPS?

A surge protector will provide all power directly from AC mains. Will only cut off power when its "so important for human safety" circuit breaker trips.

Easy to see. Plug an incandescent bulb into the surge protector. Monitor the bulb (including intensity changes) when the computer and other devices are used. That will either answer your questions. Or provide facts so that others can provide better replies.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:05 AM
Rookie

I find surge suppressor difficult to test unless you can create a surge.
Suggest that you let a technician check your suppressor.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonkurt View Post
Suggest that you let a technician check your suppressor.
Only way to test a surge protector components involves equipment that is $thousands. Techs rarely have sufficient electrical equipment or information to do that.

Meanwhile a 12 outlet strip function is easily tested. Plug a light bulb in it. If a light bulb glows, then the power strip supplies perfect 100% power. Even if the bulb only glows at 50% intensity, the computer will still power. Power is still sufficient. But a bulb at 50% intensity says the power strip (or what the strip is powered from) is defective. That simple to test.

A glowing light bulb has no relationship to completely different circuits inside (called a surge protector). All protector parts could 100% vaporize. And the power strip must still provide complete power to 12 outlets and the computer.

Only a circuit breaker disconnects power until reset. That circuit breaker is the only function that makes a decision. And has no relationship to surge protector circuits. If a computer is on, then power is 100% sufficient. Only thing to test: did its circuit breaker trip? Any tech or layman can test that.