Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2012, 03:51 AM
Trial Member

Post Update BIOS help. Pleace

I just bought a computer, with a P8Z68-v PRO/GEN3 motherboard. But i have to update BIOS before it supports the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 3770K processor. Do i need to use an 2nd generation or lower to do that? And do I need to install Windows 7 or a OS first. Last, can it be done with only motherboard, RAM and CPU?
Old November 24, 2012, 04:17 AM
MVP

A bit of googling revealed that without a BIOS update, it won't post at all. Therefor you can't even update the BIOS.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The motherboard must have a compatible processor installed in order to run -- therefore you need a Sandy Bridge processor (second generation Core) installed to run the BIOS update.

You'd also need somewhere to store the BIOS update in order to load it onto the motherboard. ASUS's BIOS Updater page (ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Technical Documents P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3) indicates you can do this with a USB key, and will not need to have any operating system installed.

If you can borrow a Sandy Bridge CPU, then you should have an easy time. If you cannot, two possibilities occur to me. First is to visit your local computer service store and have them update your BIOS. Alternately, contact ASUS and explain the situation, they might be able/willing to have you mail them the motherboard's chip for them to update it. Third option would be to return the board if you can and get a 7x-series motherboard.
Old November 24, 2012, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thakazax View Post
I just bought a computer, with a P8Z68-v PRO/GEN3 motherboard. But i have to update BIOS before it supports the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 3770K processor. Do i need to use an 2nd generation or lower to do that? And do I need to install Windows 7 or a OS first. Last, can it be done with only motherboard, RAM and CPU?
question does your system boot to bios screen? or blank! (using 1 stick of ram, video card, keyboard)

if black
remove power cord from PSU and push start button to drain out power then

re set cmos by moving jumper CLRTC from 1-2 (norm) to 2-3 to reset cmos for 15 sec then replace back to 1-2 postion on MotherBoard

replace power cord and try to boot

where are you located? if store can't update bios for you then RMA it back to asus

use the lower cpu to update,

Note: your set-up disk from asus has a online bios update program "AI Suite II" use that if have OS installed

if not have OS use the bios built in flasher with the correct bios file for your motherboard, if wrong file need to RMA it

link to mb video
Attached Images

Old November 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
question does your system boot to bios screen? or blank! (using 1 stick of ram, video card, keyboard)

if black
remove power cord from PSU and push start button to drain out power then

re set cmos by moving jumper CLRTC from 1-2 (norm) to 2-3 to reset cmos for 15 sec then replace back to 1-2 postion on MotherBoard

replace power cord and try to boot

where are you located? if store can't update bios for you then RMA it back to asus

use the lower cpu to update,

Note: your set-up disk from asus has a online bios update program "AI Suite II" use that if have OS installed

if not have OS use the bios built in flasher with the correct bios file for your motherboard, if wrong file need to RMA it

link to mb video
i agree totally with this.
I would think it strange though that a motherboard wouldn't post at all if there wasn't anything wrong with it.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
MVP

I have a bios chip for this motherboard
Bought from Asus store if y want it.
Is already for new cpu's
It was the new hard flash thats why I had bought it
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old November 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
i agree totally with this.
I would think it strange though that a motherboard wouldn't post at all if there wasn't anything wrong with it.
As I understand things, the first step in the POST (power on self test) for PCs is to check the CPU -- it doesn't initialize the BIOS if it fails the CPU check.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

i see that this MB supports CrashFree BIOS 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUS
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich Moderator
The BIOS program needs a bootloader of bootblock of code in order to run any software program.. and if that bootloader has been erased or corrupted, then there is no way to recover the BIOS through software.. If the crashfree recovery routine doesn't automatically run when you place your support CD in the optical drive, chances are that is what has happened.

In some cases, tapping Alt+F2 at power up can work with the support disk in the drive.
so if wrong bios enterd or power failure while updating bios will result black screen, CORRUPTED cmos.

only way to fix is RMA MB or hotflash cmos chip (note not for the novice) or use tymans spare cmos chip if MB has cmos socket. otherwise need special tools.

with MB manufators changing hardware on model's of MB's they make a REVision of MB

so you must know the MB REV before any flashing for don't confuse bios version with Rev:1 or 2 u'll get a paper weight if mix them up, cause they are different hardware with same model name

video
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 24, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old November 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thakazax View Post
This motherboard supports flashing the bios in a matter that does not require CPU !

Use the usb port on the rear panel marked for bios updates. Make sure you place the right bios version in your USB stick, also be sure to use the renamer utility (important), when flashing using this method/USB.
Once in, and a PSU plugged into your motherboard and PSU switch to on, there is a special switch on your motherboard itself located to left of the case connectors (on the motherboard). you press that button and keep it pressed until it starts blinking, then release - the process will flash the bios with latest version and stop blinking.

Using this method you do not need any CPU installed (of course you can do the update with or without a CPU does not matter).

I have a P8Z277-V Pro motherboard and it came with an older BIOS, which I updated to latest version in my case which was 1708 at the time.......before even installing my core i5-3750k.

Tags
bios , help with build , windows