Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2012, 04:44 PM
Allstar

Default Dead laptop keyboard

My friend have an Asus G72 laptop with a funky keyboard. Since I don't have access to the laptop, I'm simply copying & pasting what he said.

Quote:
The keyboards both (referring to external USB keyboard) act funny. During windows mode they both work fine, but then booted in to windows.. some of the keys stop working or they do other functions.
Based on that description alone, I'm thinking either faulty main board, corrupted Windows, or stuck laptop keyboard interferring with the external USB keyboard. His laptop has been locking up and crashing a lot this year so I can't exactly what to make of this. I could suggest him disconnecting the built in keyboard first and see how it goes. Any suggestions?
Old November 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds to me like he messed up his keyboard layout in windows... If it was a faulty mainboard it would be messed up all the time. He might have changed his keyboard to a strange language or something though.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Assuming it's running Windows 7
Control Panel > Clock, Language & Region > Change keyboards or other input methods > Change keyboards... > Make sure English (United States) has Keyboard US in it.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
Allstar

Well, he removed the built in keyboard and it solved the problem for now. I don't think it's an water or dirt issue but at least he can order a replacement for $40.