Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   forced sleep mode (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/57932-forced-sleep-mode.html)

clshades November 17, 2012 08:28 AM

forced sleep mode

My systems specs are listed on the right under my system specs. :)

I'm having trouble solving this problem because I can't stay running long enough to figure out what the issue is. The only thing I've been able to find so far in the 30 seconds I have to play in the bios is a really low 3.3volt which is showing in the monitor at 2.8. I think this is causing the computer to crash but I can't be certain.

I don't know how to adjust this either. I'm not sure if it's the psu or the motherboard itself.

I have dual 6970's running under water so simply yanking a card out isn't that easy I don't know where I can increase the voltages to the PCIE lane on the mobo and I have very little time to accomplish that.

I don't know how to test a 3.3v either. I'm really hoping it's not the mobo but it's under warranty so it won't hurt the bank. The PSU on the other hand would have to be shipped to Corsair as I didn't buy extended warranty on it due to Corsairs own really decent warranty.

HX1000

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as it's the 1st time I've had a multigpu setup and seen a low voltage issue before.

Thanks.

clshades November 17, 2012 08:30 AM

if it is the PSU reccomendations based on my setup would be great too thanks!

Bond007 November 17, 2012 08:49 AM

if its going to sleep I can't picture it being power supply or motherboard. IMO if it was either hardware component it would be a full shut down, or not boot. If it is sleeping IMO its something on a software side...really I can't help too much though because I have never seen this before.

Is it sleeping as your title states?

clshades November 17, 2012 08:51 AM

It could be a crash I just can't tell. It looks like a sleep mode but I'm going to assume its a ful crash. I have to hard boot to get it to run again... It's very quickly getting worse and for now I'm going to leave it before I do more damage. I used to beable to get to desktop now i cant even load windows... 30 seconds in the bios and dropping.

Shadowmeph November 17, 2012 09:38 AM

what about turning Off sleep mode in your power settings in win7?

clshades November 17, 2012 09:44 AM

power profile is turned up sleep mode is disabled. I'm more concerned about the voltage to be honest.

clshades November 17, 2012 09:49 AM

memory express sells a power supply tester i'm gonna go pick one up right now.

Bond007 November 17, 2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clshades (Post 671534)
memory express sells a power supply tester i'm gonna go pick one up right now.

If it is a crash, then I take my previous comment back. Likely hardware. A power supply tester sounds like a great idea.

Shadowmeph November 17, 2012 09:56 AM

well what I do to test voltages is I use my volt meter and put the black wire ( Ground ) wire from volt meter and push it into the black 0n the 24 pin plug on the Mother board then I fire up my system at idle and go through the yellow reb and orange wires measuring then volts the orange wir output should be around 3.3 volts , red wire is around 5 volts and yellow is around 12 volts. Non of those wires should drop below those voltages , then I load up my system to 100 % and retest the wires.
best way to do this is with the Motherboard out of the case.

if the system is rebooting before you can do this then unplug the 24 pin and jump it with a fan connected ( running) to the PSU and do the tests . unfortunately I am not sure how to load up the PSU but at least you will be able to see if the wires are at the right voltages

enaberif November 17, 2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 671536)
well what I do to test voltages is I use my volt meter and put the black wire ( Ground ) wire from volt meter and push it into the black 0n the 24 pin plug on the Mother board then I fire up my system at idle and go through the yellow reb and orange wires measuring then volts the orange wir output should be around 3.3 volts , red wire is around 5 volts and yellow is around 12 volts. Non of those wires should drop below those voltages , then I load up my system to 100 % and retest the wires.
best way to do this is with the Motherboard out of the case

This is honestly the best method. Power supply testers do an ok job measuring voltages and rest and can give you a general idea but they are never 100% accurate.