Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Help needed finding problem (related to power)

Hello all

My desktop(sig) has been having this problem for a while now and I don't know whether to fix it or part out as I don't use it much anyways. How much would this be worth nowadays?

So, the problem is that it BSOD's randomly and sometimes it doesn't even make it to windows. Sometimes it will be fine for multiple hours before BSOD. Im suspecting the motherboard, a capactor maybe?. How can i test it?

thanks all for your input
Old November 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
MVP

My first suspect wouldn't be the motherboard. My first suspicion is the RAM. Memtest 86+ is a nice boot CD that you can run to check and make sure it is working without errors. If it passes the Memtest then you can start to consider other pieces of the hardware.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFG34 View Post
Hello all

My desktop(sig) has been having this problem for a while now and I don't know whether to fix it or part out as I don't use it much anyways. How much would this be worth nowadays?

So, the problem is that it BSOD's randomly and sometimes it doesn't even make it to windows. Sometimes it will be fine for multiple hours before BSOD. Im suspecting the motherboard, a capactor maybe?. How can i test it?

Can you provide the exact error and numbers on the BSOD and more details on your system (as much as you can) as well as any overclocking (CPU/RAM), etc. Power supply ? voltage rails (from bios), etc.
Common problems: RAM / PSU, I would check the RAM first - if you are OCing, set everything back to default before testing.

Try to provide more info.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

@Rasparthe
I just did 2 passes of Memtest86+ with no errors!

@DarKStar
No overclocking, everything is at default values.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Probably motherboard but i don't know how to test it :( do you have another motherboard? maybe you can test with a cheap one.Also happend with a dead hard drive for me.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
MVP

Well at least you've eliminated the easiest one to diagnose, it gets harder from there. There can really only be four other culprits, you should start with easiest and work down the list. Of course, it helps if you have some spare hardware around. Also, as someone else said, if you can get the exact error code that the BSOD spits out that can sometimes be helpful.

1 - CPU - you can check to make sure your CPU is stable by running OCCT or Prime95 for a bunch of hours and see if any errors pop up. I had a QX6850 that would run fine but leaked voltage to a point that it would slowly over an hour or so being running with less and less voltage until it became unstable and crashed. Your CPU is certainly a few years old and perhaps showing its age.

2 - HD - Its been a long time since I've had to troubleshoot an HD but Western Digital must have a program around that will check to make sure its in good health. Perhaps someone has a suggestion on a good program, I know back in the day Hiren's BootCD had all kinds of useful programs for testing that sort of thing.

3 - PSU - Really the only way to really test this one is to change it for another, known working one and seeing if the problem continues to pop up.

4 - Motherboard - The same as for the PSU, although if you get to this point down the list I would suspect it probably the motherboard.

This is all assuming that its not a software/drivers issue. Have you installed a new set of drivers or software lately? This is where the BSOD code can be useful since if it shows a specific file as the culprit, there could be a good chance its software/driver related.

Hope that helps.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

for example I have seen a few laptops that BSOD , and the problem with them were corrupt drivers,a removal of the driver then reboot and reinstal fixed it. The BSOD code told me exactly which piece of hardware it was . I got lucky like that a few times
Old November 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Hello all

If you fix one thing,you will no doubt have to fix or upgrade something else. That PC has seen it's best days. You said you don't use it much anyway,so why not donate it to one of the many worthy causes you have in Ottawa. It isn't really worth a hell of a lot,but someone in your town would REALLY appreciate it. You have nothing to lose,and it will make you feel better by doing something nice for someone. That's exactly what I would do.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
If you fix one thing,you will no doubt have to fix or upgrade something else. That PC has seen it's best days. You said you don't use it much anyway,so why not donate it to one of the many worthy causes you have in Ottawa. It isn't really worth a hell of a lot,but someone in your town would REALLY appreciate it. You have nothing to lose,and it will make you feel better by doing something nice for someone. That's exactly what I would do.
That's a good idea and I would do that if I wasn't in such debt, every dollar counts for me at this moment in my life.

I ran prime95 for 4 hours, no errors.

Its really down to psu/mobo. I think im gonna part it out.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
That's a good idea and I would do that if I wasn't in such debt, every dollar counts for me at this moment in my life.

I ran prime95 for 4 hours, no errors.

Its really down to psu/mobo. I think im gonna part it out.

Thanks everyone for your input.

BSOD's can be HDD cable or the HDD it self, in the pass it has caused me grief to find out it was bad cable that killed one of my drives also check power connectors are tight on connections @ drive