Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default Can't use video card?

Foxconn M61PMV mobo and tried a video card out but there is no video.

Integrated video works fine.

NO BIOS options to disable onboard video. I checked.

I'm going to be steamed if the mobo is defective (cuz of faulty PCI-e x16 slot?)!

PSU, I forget but I think it's higher than 300W. Could it be the PSU? The card being used is a Gigabyte HD Radeon 6450. Low Profile. It should be okay to use a basic PSU?

I'm not sure what else to try. The card is around $20 and was bought to offer DVI and HDMI (to connect to TV and/or computer).

It really turns me off AMD/Foxconn products... ;)
Old November 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
Allstar

Hmm interesting. I downloaded the manual and there's not even a video card start order. All I can suggest is double check that you plug your card in correctly or test it in another machine. Did you plug in all the PSU plugs on the motherboard?
Old November 11, 2012, 12:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, right on Gigabytes site page for the card says that the "System Power Supply Requirement" is 400W (GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - ATI - PCI Express Solution - Radeon HD 6000 series - GV-R645OC-1GI). So, for one, check the card in another system, if possible, that you know runs using a at least a 500W (or higher) PSU. Just because your PSU says it's 300W, it does not mean that it can actually reach 200W.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My first thought was that you hadn't hooked up the power connector for the card, but there's no indication such is needed. If it's a really cheap PSU then it might not be able to supply the 75W to the PCI-e slot, but I would tend to suspect the motherboard settings or connections.

For instance, to help deliver the PCI-e power requirements, is the board hooked up with a 24-pin ATX power connection rather than a 20-pin connector? The board allows for both types but the last four pins include an additional 12V connection which is likely necessary to power the GPU. Tried connecting the monitor to both the integrated and card video outputs with the card installed? Is PCI-e timing set appropriately?
Old November 11, 2012, 03:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Well, right on Gigabytes site page for the card says that the "System Power Supply Requirement" is 400W (GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - ATI - PCI Express Solution - Radeon HD 6000 series - GV-R645OC-1GI). So, for one, check the card in another system, if possible, that you know runs using a at least a 500W (or higher) PSU. Just because your PSU says it's 300W, it does not mean that it can actually reach 200W.
I can test it on my computer. But, I have to drive to where they live and take it home. Yes, for HD 6450 cards, the min. PSU requirement for all of them is 400W! I guess I didn't do my HW. :-( Why so high for such a low level video card?!? I knew I should have got something like a GeForce GT 610. It's only 300W min.

I'm not sure of the PSU in the system but I know it's generic. It might be more than 300W but I wouldn't be surprised if it is not able to supply the needed juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
My first thought was that you hadn't hooked up the power connector for the card, but there's no indication such is needed. If it's a really cheap PSU then it might not be able to supply the 75W to the PCI-e slot, but I would tend to suspect the motherboard settings or connections.

For instance, to help deliver the PCI-e power requirements, is the board hooked up with a 24-pin ATX power connection rather than a 20-pin connector? The board allows for both types but the last four pins include an additional 12V connection which is likely necessary to power the GPU. Tried connecting the monitor to both the integrated and card video outputs with the card installed? Is PCI-e timing set appropriately?
75W to the PCI-e? This might be it, perhaps?

I only had either the video card or the integrated graphics connected, not both. So, I want a 24-pin ATX power connection, right? I'll take a look when I go up there today. It does sound like it is PSU-related somehow.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's BIOS related. I know you said you checked the BIOS already, but check again. Specifically, check in the subsection pertinent to the NorthBridge (NB). That would be where you would enable the PCI-E slot.

Does the computer post with the card in? Because if it posts, I don't think it's a powersupply issue...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 11, 2012, 07:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

24 pin depends on your motherboard if it needs it or doesn`t. I thought this helps drive the cpu and such, but I guess it makes sence the extra pins provide extra power, which could help drive pci-e lanes.

6450 does not need alot of power, the only reaon why they ask for the system to have X power available is because they have specific "test" systems usually comprosing of an older quad core, x optical/hard drive and such, they intentionally overshoot the required power more for quality reasons, as alot of folks use knock off brand power supplies that can barely provded thier rated wattage. This way here AMD and Nvidia etc have less to worry about, and users have less to worry about.

Also a 6450 is much higher on the totem pole then a gt610 x10 is the lowest offered whereas x450 is more middle low then anything.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Cannot enable PCI-E graphics? - Tech Support Forum similar problem same board.
I wonder if you driver sweeper the display and make sure the drivers are installed for the radeon, if that will allow it to use the radeon. but yes, someone pointed out to use the proper pci-e clock, that would be 100 under the fox inteligent bios , under advanced chipset features set the framebuffer to 256 or higher, provided you have 1gb or higher system memory

The manual for that board does say to use 24pin ATX power for better performance of graphics card, so there you go.
As well, there is a compatibility list for VGA as well, might want to check that, Foxconn Support - Compatibility List I do not know why this would be, but, it is something highlighted in a couple other posts in other places. Foxconn Support - Download= is all the drivers for that board.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I had a similar problem a while back with an older HP board and a 5450. Though not positive I think a bios update adding compatability for newer gpus did the trick to get mine up and running.
300 watts should be more than enough for that card.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

yes check bios firmware , current is Ver: 846F1P10

hit support tab and select bios in search