Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Computer Randomly shutting off (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/57602-computer-randomly-shutting-off.html)

supaflyx3 October 29, 2012 10:28 PM

Computer Randomly shutting off

About a week ago my computer randomly started turning off, on idle or load. At first it only happened maybe once a day, but now its happening almost anytime i try to play a game for a while.

Last night it turned off in the middle of a game and it wouldn't start back up so i reapplied thermal paste, still wouldnt boot back up so i reset the cmos and changed PCI-E slots for my video card. Worked fine after that and played BF3 for a while and went to bed, decided to play dayz today and it turned off and wouldnt boot back up. Play around with PCI-E slots and reset the CMOS multiple times and finally got it working after an hour.
I've tried every stick of ram individually and it wouldn't boot up, so its a game of chance it seems to get it running. What could be the issue? The errors in the event log as are as following;

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

enaberif October 29, 2012 10:39 PM

Power supply has shit the bed.. voltages are probably all over the place.

supaflyx3 October 29, 2012 11:05 PM

Hmm alright, well at least thats one of the cheaper fixes, as long as it didn't take anything else out with it..

Perineum October 30, 2012 04:51 AM

Gigabyte motherboard? Or is it the one in your config listing?

Chasingu October 30, 2012 06:21 AM

Probably your TX Power Supply, I had this same problem with a TX750w and once I bought and replaced it with a AX 750, the problem went away.

Rassal October 30, 2012 07:24 AM

2-3 possibilities here...

1) Exactly said as above... probably power supply. With age, fatigue will kill your power supply and it might be time to replace it. Might also be dusty inside your PSU and might be good to clean it up... Most of the time, overheating will damage components, and will do exactly what you see... a component that stops working after a short amount of time, and takes an hour before working again sounds like an overheating problem... so i would clean the power supply throughly with compressed air before replacing it 1st... might also check your voltages inside your bios monitoring section and see if any voltages are out of specs...
2) Might be time to clean out your CPU fan/heatsink... dunno if you do clean your PC often, but i have seen messes of dust covering heat sinks on CPU coolers from some customers, that it's easy to see if a PC is over heating.
3) Last but not least: Busted caps on your motherboard. Start looking around for busted capacitors. This is a common problem theses days with companies trying to cut cost of their common components, they buy cheaper stuff, but it ends up to be crappy stuff that craps out very fast. A leaking capacitor starts doing random problems not too often, but when it leaked so much to the point of being visible, you are mostly getting the type of problem you are describing.

Hope it helps

supaflyx3 October 30, 2012 04:22 PM

I've cleaned all the dust out of my PC, there are no blown caps on my sabertooth x58 and nothing smells burnt, I don't think its a heat issue since I have a housefan blowing in my case right now.

BryceBooth October 30, 2012 10:15 PM

It may very well be the power supply, and if you happen to have a spare one lying around I'd suggest swapping it out for further trouble-shooting.
However, it may be worth your time to look at other possible suspects. If your system is overclocked, back everything down to their default speeds and voltages. With all the mucking around inside the chassis, make sure everything (memory, GPU, power connectors) are all firmly seated.

supaflyx3 October 30, 2012 10:34 PM

I've done all possible trouble shooting, I don't have the money or spare parts to start testing each part individually.