Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Question Installing Windows on new SSD

I've been having some trouble installing windows on my new SSD. When Windows was installing and it was time to select the unallocated drive (I only have the SSD installed) There is a message near the bottom saying Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Why did this show up? I did make sure AHCI was selected in the BIOS. The only options I had in that window was Refresh, Load driver and New. I didn't select any of those and clicked Next. Windows started to install on the SSD.

After it rebooted I got this saying Windows failed to start. But I think I forget to change the drive priority.

Also what is the purpose of the UEFI labels in the corner of the Windows boot manager and my optical drive? Once I eject the DVD and reboot all is left is the Windows boot manager with UEFI label then my SSD followed by the optical drive. Is this the right order?

When I first started the PC all I seen was my SSD and optical drive without the UEFI labels. What caused these to show up?
Attached Images

Old October 29, 2012, 05:06 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

That is strange. I never had a problem with my install on a SSD. Maybe try a quick install or partial using a regular HDD. Don't go thru the whole process but see if it starts as normal. Also you could try to clone a HDD if you have one with a complete install to the SSD. I assume this is win 7. Also do a quick recheck to make sure everything is seated properly and the drive is on the 6Gb sata 0 plug. Good luck.

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]
Old October 29, 2012, 05:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This is the "new" way of booting with UEFI-capable motherboards.

Everything you describe sounds proper, so I'm not sure why it isn't booting.

Was the SSD entirely blank? No partitions or such?
Old October 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
MVP

Is your SSD attached to a SATA3 port? Try installing Windows using one of the SATA2 connections. Windows 7 has problems with booting if your not using a SATA2 to install the drive and then move it to SATA3 after the drivers have all been installed and everything is running correctly.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
Rookie

It seems to work itself out. I just tried re-installing windows and deleted any partitions that were created and selected the unallocated drive. This time there was no Windows cannot be installed to this disk warning near the bottom. Maybe I had the drive in the wrong priority order. I can't remember.

Right now when I start up the UEFI BIOS the order goes like this: Windows boot manager > SSD > Optical drive. I'm assuming it's normal to have the Windows boot manager in the priority list and why does it have the UEFI label on the corner? This is the first time I using a UEFI BIOS so it's new to me.

I just read that if Windows uses a GPT it creates 3 partitions. I guess it did that by default based on my drive priority? I don't know.
I remember now, I deleted two partitions when re-installing Windows. They were MSR (Reserved) and a Primary partitions.

Last edited by MorePower; October 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, to use UEFI booting it must be GPT rather than MBR. Perfectly normal and sounds like you've got it all sorted out now.