Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

@ PCWiz
Download and run WhoCrashed. Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

Hopefully you got crash dumps from your BSODs. It might help narrow it down. If you get another BSOD...write down the error code.
Are you OC'ing the rig? What are your GPU and CPU temps looking like? Are you running the latest firmware and drivers? A lot of variables that make it basically impossible to say "do this then this"....even if "this" == nuke and "then this" == reinstall.

This is a good time to think about the NEXT time (there always will be a next time). First thing you should get into the habit of doing is making a image of your rig as soon as you build it and install all the software on it (updates, etc etc). THEN if/when the OS buggers off...you restore from the image. I personally used Acronis. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by SugarJ; October 21, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:20 PM

Damn near all cloning software sometimes has issues with alignment at some point in their history. So what? BUT it sounds like you are have not used Ti in a couple years. 2010 (IIRC) screwed the pooch really badly. Latest versions are bloated, but the rescue CD is still damn svelte. Install, make a tib, clone the SSD to a HDD (for backup). Burn the USB version of the rescue CD. Uninstall. Pretty simple to me. How do you do it and what are you recommending the OP do?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by SugarJ; October 21, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
Allstar

My comments re wiping were based on the assumption that a "wipe" was desired - ie the secure removal of all data on the drive. SSD's are hard to clean that way completely, even using secure erase. Encrypting them from the very start is the best way to ensure data safety and remove the "wiping need". Whether it's done using an internal; encrypt function or external is another matter, but yes, you only need one. There was an interesting study done on securely erasing SSD's about a eyar or so ago. I'll see if I can find the link.
Old October 21, 2012, 03:13 PM

If you can find it NyteOld that would be awesome. Last time I was talking to some of the mfg'ers they were recommending against it. But it could be outdated information (as its been awhile since I brought that up with any)...and it sounds like a very interesting read.

Old October 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Allstar

Link to research study an paper:

Non-Volatile Systems Lab | Projects

http://www.usenix.org/events/fast11/...papers/Wei.pdf
Old October 21, 2012, 05:00 PM

Thanks NyteOwl. I plan on reading it ASAP. :)

Last edited by SugarJ; October 21, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread cleaned.

Let's keep it on topic for the OP please.

Last edited by SugarJ; October 21, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Media files

Video/picture media found in Users folder in Windows 7 are just files with content. As almost any drive from a dead system can be hooked up to a PC to retrieve the data, as long as your new OS installed has the proper codecs you shouldn't have any issues accessing or using any of the files or content once you clear your SSD.

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities. - Voltaire

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.- Ruth Hurmence Green

There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old October 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Which SSD do you have PCWIZ?

Old October 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
Allstar

Crucial M4 128GB SSD