Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
Rookie

Default Unknown computer on my network?

Hey guys I'm confused as to why there's suddenly a computer named "raymond-pc" on my network. I can't access it nor does it seem to appear on my router's list of computers connected. This unknown pc does not show up all the time ... it disappears... Here's a screenshot of it http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...wncomputer.jpg

HMM? Thanks for your help in advance!
Old October 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol either someone named raymond joined your network and his WMP connected to yours, or you join a network with someone named raymond on it.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Allstar

If you're running a wireless network, lock it down. Or your wireless device is set to join any unlocked network.
Old October 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Lol either someone named raymond joined your network and his WMP connected to yours, or you join a network with someone named raymond on it.
Hm funny thing is I haven't changed any of my network settings for months. I'm pretty sure none of my neighbours could crack my password for wifi? I live in an apartment if that is relevant info. Thanks for replying =)
Old October 17, 2012, 12:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
If you're running a wireless network, lock it down. Or your wireless device is set to join any unlocked network.
I'm running a desktop computer atm. My iphone won't join random networks and the only other capable device is my laptop which i don't use (haven't turned it on for atleast a month). I do have a password for my wifi and I just changed it today (thanks for mentioning). Is there any other way to protect my network other than a password for wifi? Well i mean it wouldn't be possible to connect to my network via cabling right? I live in an apartment btw...

*Oh I've been googling some info online and I found out that it could be a malware? I ran both malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials which turns out clean. I'm completely stumped

Thanks for replying! Your help is appreciated =)
Old October 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
Allstar

Stupid question. Did any of your friends or relatives came over your house and used your network?
Old October 17, 2012, 01:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Stupid question. Did any of your friends or relatives came over your house and used your network?
Um yes, I had a few friends over in the past week but they didn't use my network. The "raymond-pc" would appear even when no one is home for hours except for me.

I'll turn off wifi for a few days to see if this unknown pc would still appear. Thanks for reply.
Old October 17, 2012, 03:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Layering is the best way to protect your wifi in an apartment building. Truth is cracking a wifi either WPA or WEP is quite easy if your willing to learn the tools of the trade(aircrack-ng, ettercap, nmap the list can go on). For me I have some rules while I am setting up my wifi(which I would not use for downloading always connect when your downloading.) I am not the best at explaining but I hope that helps you and I hope no one has join your network.

1. if you can restrict the amount of computers needed to use wifi meaning only when necessary.
2. do not broad cast your SSID (this is your name of your router)
3. always check for updates for you router
4. pick a good password and write it down (if your like me change it ever month or so)
5. only allow MAC address you know to connect to your wifi. (youtube restricting macs to your router should find it)
Old October 17, 2012, 03:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is no point in hiding your SSID or mac address filtering, if someone is determined to get in your wireless they will do so, that is unless you use WPA2.
Old October 17, 2012, 04:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Obviously if some one is determined to get in they can but that's why you layer your defense against it. wpa2 is just as useless as well if someone is determined. the truth is wifi is not secure. this is why I do not use it. But the more you layer your stuff the more annoying you are so hopefully they move on to an easier target.