Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Multi Monitor Support

Hi there.

I just purchased 2 new 27" BenQ monitors and I'm trying to set them up with my existing 24" Samsung.

Here is how I have them wired.

Left: BenQ - DVI
Center: BenQ - HDMI
Right: Samsung - DVI

Windows and Catalyst Control Center will only ever allow me to use any combination of 2 of these monitors at a time.

Is there something I'm missing?

Here is a screenshot of what it keeps telling me when I try to have all 3 activated.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Old October 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Bump, Still trying to get this figured out, i really would like to have the 3rd screen available.
Attached Images

Old October 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

are you using crossfire or just a single gpu?
Old October 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't you have to use an active Displayport to DVI/HDMI adapter to get 3 screens in eyefinity?
Old October 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

He's not looking for eyefinity I believe, just three independently active monitors, although the card itself may still require an active displayport connection to display a third monitor (unsure)
Old October 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

its just a single 6950 im using and I don't really know anything about using the 3 screens so maybe i do need to use the display port thing, i'll take a look into that.

I could probably handle eyefinity on these except the 24" doesn't support 1900x1080 so i dont think I can. But i do want to have "extended desktop" across all 3
Old October 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

ATI AMD Eyefinity Active MINI Display Port to SL DVI-D Dongle AMD# 611002900G | eBay

so I think this is what I need, looking at the description I think its explaining this to me as well.

AMD Eyefinity technology is supported by graphics cards in the ATI Radeon™ HD 5400 series and higher. These cards can support up to six monitors (depending on the model), subject to the following restrictions:
• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
• To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).
• Approved “active” adapters have no general connectivity restrictions with AMD Eyefinity technology.
Old October 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have no experience with 3 monitor, but I believe what you have found is the culprit. I recalled reading that for 3 or more monitors you had to use display port.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes you need the displayport adapter to make it work properly.
Old October 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I ordered that one off ebay. Good news is it'll work for the new Macbook the company is buying me as well to hook it upto a monitor so that'll be a dual purpose device for me :)

I do software development for a company that is growing super fast so it helps like crazy to have as much monitor space as possible to build / test / document this stuff.

Also the joys of working from home is I get to play on my work equipment in my offtime :D