Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2012, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Default Audio Crackling on speakers and headphones

Hey everyone.

I recently built a computer, everything is good, except that I get static through my speakers at times. I thought it was because my speakers were older, then I got a Vengeance 2000 wireless headset, and I hear crackling there as well.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be and how to fix it?
I've already tried re-installing the sound drivers.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

need more info like motherboard brand,model and version of bios

mite be a driver or grounding issue
Old October 6, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sounds like (pardon the pun) EMI from poor shielding of the 'sound card'. I am guessing onboard sound....and the ultimate culprit will be ripple from the PSU. I bet the PSU is mediocre grade. BUT need more details. Brand of mobo, soundcard, PSU make & model...etc etc

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you confirm the only connection the headset has is a USB connector and not any 3.5mm headphone jacks? Through 3.5mm jacks hissing / whining / crackling is common for lower-end components but to affect a USB-connected headset? That's some seriously noisy power flowing through / around your computer.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup when things effects both the analog AND digital sound quality....I always assume dirty power first. Maybe its just a case of a mediocre PSU with poor power coming into the rig from the wall that can be solved with a power line conditioner...but I doubt it. Its probably bad 120v 'wall' power AND a poor PSU.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 6, 2012, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

Make sure to connect speakers and headphones directly to your soundcard, or motherboard ports, and not your front panel connections.
Try to keep your speaker wires away from other wires, turn the speaker volume down and turn Windows volume up (then feel free to use the speaker volume for further adjustments)
If the above changes nothing, then it may be an improperly grounded motherboard, or PSU interference.