Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Really SLOOOOOW desktop...

This has been happening periodically on boot for ages, it used to be pretty rare though as I always ran 24/7. But now that I always shut down when not using the PC it happens about once a week.

Basically all the aero effects are extremely slow, windows opening, menu pop ups etc. It typically goes away after a reboot. I checked the CCC to verify my card clocks are right, CPU-Z to verify my clocks are corrrect and that my PCI-E is at x16, I've disabled and re-enabled areo effects to no avail, only a reboot will fix it. Nothing odd shows up in task manager and programs do tend to run at the proper speed despite the other slowness. I ran assorted scans last week with my array of malware tools and nothing was amiss. I googled the problem and everything seemed to lead to people that had the problem 100% of the time, not on the odd boot up like me.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am thinking that your hard drive still loading devices ,drivers in the back ground? maybe defrag your hard drive unless of course you have an SSD in which case "DON"T DEFRAG THE SSD lol. when the system is on 24\7 ( which I usually have mine of 24\7) the devices and drives are always loaded.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you running windows 7, and have a phone with debugging enabled? I've found on my Win 7 machine that if I have my phone plugged in with debugging enabled and then start my PC it takes forever for windows to load. Doesn't happen any other time.
Old October 5, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It stay's like this until reboot, it's not loading stuff lag.
Old October 5, 2012, 03:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Any chance it's some kind of wierd resource issue? Have you tried resetting the PCI resources and/or toggling between hardware aware OS on/off?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 8, 2012, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some really weird stuff going on lately, Foobar lost all it's configs, menus not showing up in IE, last night my soundcard died playing D3. I'm running WD diagnostics on the drives now, but it may be time for a fresh install.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Fresh install sounds like a simple fix. Have you check to see what programs are in your Startup process? start/run/cmd/msconfig.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing that shouldn't be, AMD stuff, Razer stuff, APC stuff, Adobe and Google updaters, Creative stuff. The only odd thing is the AMD dual core optimizer, seems odd seing as I've never run a dual core AMD.

HD scans came up good. Assorted logs don't show anything peculiar either.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some games install the AMD dual-core optimizer because the devs are too lazy to fix the game properly - because of said laziness it is installed no matter what your system is. I've had it installed on both of my quad cores (AMD Phenom, Core i5) and I promptly removed it with no problem.

Get rid of it for sure in case there's a bug with it.