Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   How do I access BIOS on overly fast computer? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/57080-how-do-i-access-bios-overly-fast-computer.html)

Griezz October 4, 2012 11:19 AM

How do I access BIOS on overly fast computer?

I just purchased a new custom-made system from NCIX, and I have enjoyed the first day or two. The one problem that I have is that the system actually boots too fast for me to interrupt & access the BIOS.

The system's main components are as follows: Intel i5-3570K, MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256GB (boot drive), WD Caviar Black 1 TB (data drive), 8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3-1666 RAM, Corsair H80 Water-based CPU Cooler.

Here is my problem. When booting, the boot process goes by so quickly, I don't have a chance to access the BIOS. Not only do I miss the opportunity to overclock, but I am unable to change the boot order if needed.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? On an MSI motherboard, is it possible to use the BIOS or overclock from within Windows?

SugarJ October 4, 2012 11:22 AM

pull the keyboard plug out if it's a USB. that should give you an error and option to go into bios. Plug it back in and go from there.

enaberif October 4, 2012 11:26 AM

by having faster fingers.

Lpfan4ever October 4, 2012 11:30 AM

Just tap the button as fast as you can as soon as you power it up if SugarJ's method doesn't work. (BIOS might not be set to halt on missing keyboard)

supaflyx3 October 4, 2012 11:45 AM

Tap F1 and DEL as fast as possible while booting.

trayton October 4, 2012 02:25 PM

Usually is F1 or DEL but some motherboards are different in your case though DEL is the proper I do believe

Shadowmeph October 4, 2012 02:46 PM

I used to just hold down the del key but that didn't work all the time now I just keep tapping the del key and always get into bios

Griezz October 4, 2012 05:28 PM

Actually, the problem seems to be a minor bug between my monitor and my new video card. The monitor is connected via DVI (the monitor is old - no HDMI connection). At the same time, I have an HDMI connection between my system and a nearby HDTV.

Now.. when I boot my system, the monitor stays dark, indicating that there is no signal. However, the HDTV clearly shows all the boot information, and DOES allow me access to the BIOS. So, for whatever reason, it seems that my DVI connection only works once Windows is fully functional. (Which is weird because I never had such problems with my old system.)

Could it be because my system was initially reading the HDTV as my "main" monitor and the monitor as a secondary screen?

supaflyx3 October 4, 2012 05:31 PM

Correct, before the drivers are loaded your system thinks the display connected to HDMI is the main display

frontier204 October 4, 2012 08:35 PM

Whichever key it is to get into the BIOS, you can hold down the button while the computer is booting (don't even wait for something to show up). That's how I get into BIOS on my laptop and Intel motherboard which both have very fast POSTs. That will either get you into the BIOS or a keyboard error, either of which will give your display(s) time to figure things out.

All the video cards I tried have a "preference" as to which port to display boot information on. You could try to boot with the TV's HDMI cable unplugged, then reboot with both displays plugged in to see if it still displays BIOS to the monitor.