Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2012, 06:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default UPS not charging

i have an apc back-UPS xs 1500 ups and i noticed today that the battery indicator is empty/flashing. i cycled through the displays and its reading 0 minutes of battery backup time as well. a bit of google indicates that the battery is shot and most of the posts recommend 'taking it to a service center'. im pretty much positive this thing is way out of warranty, and i live out in the middle of nowhere (not likely near a service center). the other display functions are still working (input/output/load etc). windows reports that "This device is working properly." in its properties panel as well.

so two questions:

-im not too concerned about battery backup time. i got this for line conditioning in an old crappy apartment i lived in with shaky power. with an apparently dead battery, this thing isnt really doing anything in terms of conditioning right now is it?

-is there any risk in continuing to use it like this? its not hot or anything, but its got my new computer plugged into it and its not working right...kind of making me wonder if i should just use a regular power bar for now until i can replace it or fix it.

thanks for any input
Old October 4, 2012, 06:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
i have an apc back-UPS xs 1500 ups and i noticed today that the battery indicator is empty/flashing. i cycled through the displays and its reading 0 minutes of battery backup time as well. a bit of google indicates that the battery is shot and most of the posts recommend 'taking it to a service center'. im pretty much positive this thing is way out of warranty, and i live out in the middle of nowhere (not likely near a service center). the other display functions are still working (input/output/load etc). windows reports that "This device is working properly." in its properties panel as well.

so two questions:

-im not too concerned about battery backup time. i got this for line conditioning in an old crappy apartment i lived in with shaky power. with an apparently dead battery, this thing isnt really doing anything in terms of conditioning right now is it?

-is there any risk in continuing to use it like this? its not hot or anything, but its got my new computer plugged into it and its not working right...kind of making me wonder if i should just use a regular power bar for now until i can replace it or fix it.

thanks for any input
A lot of APC's units when they start cleaning noise go to battery power on the Main's while the noise is clamped down by the protection circutry. I have no reason to think that your unit would do it any differently than the newer models of the same unit I have.
That being said, although well out of warranty (it never hurts to ask APC), you can easily enough get replacement battery cartridges for it (either through APC or one of those online battery places). If you are feeling adventureous get me some pics of the batteries inside and I can even find you replacements since I deal with these units on a daily basis.

I would still keep the unit plugged in however, since the MOV's inside will still protect should a major surge come into your lines.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 4, 2012, 07:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah this one goes to battery whenever the lights even flicker for a second, thats why im a bit worried about using it with dead batteries (happens a lot here). what do the batteries in these usually cost to replace in your experience? i sent apc a support msg on their site. should hear back tomorrow at some point hopefully.

thanks for your help so far
Old October 4, 2012, 07:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
yeah this one goes to battery whenever the lights even flicker for a second, thats why im a bit worried about using it with dead batteries (happens a lot here). what do the batteries in these usually cost to replace in your experience? i sent apc a support msg on their site. should hear back tomorrow at some point hopefully.

thanks for your help so far
Okay yeah if it does the switch over right away its fully online like mine. Take it off then since it will try and go to battery with dead and probably drop the system. A good surge strip at least instead of that unit.

As for battery replacement, that all depends. Find out from APC which one it takes or get me some pics and I can help. Usually they are $25-60 per cartridge. It really depends.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old October 4, 2012, 07:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

ok thanks. ill try to find that info later today (via dis-assembly or ill try to dig up the manual online and hopefully it has the specs).
Old October 4, 2012, 07:45 AM
Allstar

It's your battery, they get dead after 3 to 4 years, more quick if you don't let them discharge time to time as sulfate with deposit on the cell electrode, the best place I found for battery is this place

https://www.upsforless.ca
Old October 4, 2012, 11:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your UPS unit takes Two batteries. They cost approx $35 each. I found someone local to me that has them as well. He's gonna get me a PN and I'll forward to you so you can find someone local to use.

Might still be cheaper, that unit is a very nice unit.

-ST

Old October 9, 2012, 02:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

ok i ended up going away for the weekend and forgetting about the ups completely. currently going through the steps with tech support to see what they say.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
ok i ended up going away for the weekend and forgetting about the ups completely. currently going through the steps with tech support to see what they say.
No worries mate, if its decided that you need batteries let me know. I'll hook you up cheaper than APC or anyone else would,

-ST

Old October 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

so we finally got to the part where tech support asks me to pull the battery and verify that its properly connected. i pulled it out and the side fell off i sent him this picture and he mailed me back and asked me what the lcd said
Attached Images