Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2012, 03:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Odd Yellow Blobs on Noctua NH-D14 fans

I found these this morning, I have dust filters and clean them on the last friday of every month. Anyone know what these are?
Old October 1, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cooking with a deep fryer?
Old October 1, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingu View Post

I found these this morning, I have dust filters and clean them on the last friday of every month. Anyone know what these are?
Oil from a failing bearing. I'd suggest replacing that fan soon.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:08 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Oil from a failing bearing. I'd suggest replacing that fan soon.
Not that I don't believe you, but can I get a second opionion on this before I do something about it.

Also, what would I have to do if this was the case, do I have to send back the entire cooler to Noctua, or just the fan?
Old October 1, 2012, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Not that I don't believe you, but can I get a second opionion on this before I do something about it.

Also, what would I have to do if this was the case, do I have to send back the entire cooler to Noctua, or just the fan?
Take the fan out, clean the yellow blobs, re-install.

It will come back as what is happening is the bearing is failing and thus causing the oil to come out and spray against the housing.

I'd send those pictures to Noctua and get the fan replaced as they shouldn't need the entire cooler.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I cleaned the oil, which is what it looks like, and we will see if there is anymore leakage. In the meantime, I will send the image to Noctua and see if I can get a replacement fan.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Here's hoping your experience is as good as the one I had with Noctua's customer service.

Had an NF-12 die on me -- though it might have been the motherboard's fault, as all the non-CPU fan headers died at the same time -- and was asked only for an image of my purchase invoice to prove the fan was still under warranty. I did not have to send the dead fan back.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I would have to say that Ena is probably 100% correct on his assumption of what it is.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com