Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   *Edited* PLease help, Is my HDD or SSD going bad? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/56921-edited-please-help-my-hdd-ssd-going-bad.html)

PcWizTech September 25, 2012 09:25 AM

*Edited* PLease help, Is my HDD or SSD going bad?

Hello there!

My computer seems to be running fine, but i keep getting a windows 7 (ultimate 64bit) message from the action center informing me that i should run a system maintenance scan. Its sort of telling me that i may have some problems with my HDD.

Information to be known:

1) I have an SSD as my boot drive, but I'm scanning my HDD (for storage). This HDD is the western digital black caviar 1tb.

2)Ive ran windows diagnostics and nothing was detected.

3) I ran WD HDD diagnostics, but every time i hit "show results" i get a notification that states that the website cannot be displayed.

Should i just scan my SSD too? How do i know if everything is okay.

Side note: I once turned on my computer and i got "windows has recovered from an unexpected error" it said the error was blue screen. I never saw this until yesterday, when my computer randomly shut off to a blue screen and turned on normally.

Thank you so much in advanced!

moocow September 25, 2012 09:54 AM

Use Ultimate Boot Disk instead to run your HDD diagnostic instead. Hard to say what's wrong, it could be bad memory, bad SSD, bad board, or bad SATA cable. I doubt Windows will have separate warning message SSD and HDD so it could be your SSD having problems. I suggest you unplug the HDD and see if the problem comes back.

PcWizTech September 29, 2012 06:19 AM

Okay so i have to write this before i get another BSOD,

How do i know if my SSD or HDD is bad? Windows 7 is Installed on the SSD, but the HDD is for storage.

1. Im getting much more frequent BSOD.
2. If i try to run something with JAVA it says Java blah something like V7 has crashed.
3. I used the disk for memory diagnostics and nothing was found.
4. Ran mem test 86 and nothing found.
5. Tried to boot up through repair disk and ran chkdsk via command prompt but failed.
6. Version of SSD: 010G but it says 000F. I've ran the firmware update, this seems to have made it worse.
7.Everything now seems to freeze up.
8. Ive tried restoring, no luck.

stoanee September 29, 2012 07:22 AM

What are your stop codes(s)?

PcWizTech September 29, 2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 658608)
What are your stop codes(s)?

Im really sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean by stop codes?

3.0charlie September 29, 2012 08:14 AM

The blue screen code, that may look like this: 0x0000004e

PcWizTech September 29, 2012 08:17 AM

Oh dang, i wasn't able to catch it on time. Is there a way to look it up afterwards such as in event viewer or something?

Edit:

I got a reply from customer service ( my computer just had another BSOD by the way). The person told me to unplug the sata cable and leave the power cable. I was told i have to leave the computer on for 6 to 8 hours for some trash cleaning or something. I really dont have the time time for this, are there any alternatives?

Edit 2:

I found this in event viewer:

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-09-29T15:21:59.590403600Z

EventRecordID 35824

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

- EventData

BugcheckCode 26
BugcheckParameter1 0x41284
BugcheckParameter2 0x7e4f7001
BugcheckParameter3 0x1f7e
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff70001080000
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

stoanee September 29, 2012 11:41 AM

Disable automatic restart so that the screen displays your stop code.

Instructions
Click 'Start'
Click on 'Run'
Type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the 'Advanced' tab
Click on the 'Startup and Recovery' Settings button
Uncheck 'Automatically restart', then click on OK
Click on OK to exit the System applet, then close the Control Panel.
Reboot for the changes to take effect

PcWizTech October 2, 2012 08:23 AM

Update guys: Although the BSOD rarely happens (once a day compared to 3 or four times an hour) i just caught one. Here is what it says:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

*** STOP: 0X0000003B (0X00000000C0000005, 0XFFFFF800033B11007, 0XFFFFF8800CB33E90, 0X00000000000000000)

frontier204 October 2, 2012 08:40 AM

Hmm a Google search of that stop code, at least the first few results, actually points to peripherals and drivers.

Also the tech asking you to unplug the data cable and leave the power on the SSD was probably asking you to do this so the SSD could perform garbage collection. Assuming you have backups of what is on the SSD, you can do the same thing (and better) in a few minutes by doing a SECURE ERASE on the SSD, then restoring your stuff back on to it:
How to securely erase an SSD drive | How To - CNET

If you do go the PartedMagic way, it also has a diagnostic suite for hard drives and SSDs (GSmartControl) that can scan your drives without a potentially bugged Windows getting in the way.