Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2012, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So i should delete and restore the SSD? Is there another alternative? I have lots of stuff on this :(
Old October 2, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EDIT: Copy your important stuff off those drives before running scans on them, since scanning can make a damaged hard drive worse.

I only suggested the wipe / restore if you had a backup you could quickly restore from. Otherwise as moocow suggested you have to scan your drives from a different OS than the ones the drives are on - IIRC Western Digital's software gets all buggy if you try to scan a drive while Windows has it in use. Also for some dumb reason Window's disk checking utilities don't use the hard drive's internal test, which is way more accurate (and not dependent on the state of the OS).

The best would be to connect the drives to another computer that doesn't use them to scan, or to use a Linux Live CD or one of the DOS-based scans (SeaTools, Ultimate Boot CD, WD Lifeguard). Note the DOS-based scanning tools seem to crash or simply not work on newer chipsets, so I'd use a Linux scan or hook up to another computer running Windows.

Last edited by frontier204; October 2, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh dang, its suggested that i have to hook it up to another pc to scan? I don't think any other pc in this house can support this sata (mine is the newest pc). However, should i just do that linux thing (never used linux)?