Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2008, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

Default Games freezing randomly...

I've quoted myself from another thread because I think this should be under troubleshooting. It's obviously not just a problem with my rig.

Specs for myself are Striker II Formula, E8400, OCZ ReaperX 4Gb, XP 32, 2x150Gb Raptor RAID0 drives, and 2xBFG 8800GTX in SLI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iv:xx View Post
I've been having similar problems with my rig. Assassin's Creed and Crysis, both. The game will play normally, but at certain instances (especially in Crysis), it will freeze up. It's really a piss-off, considering I bought a second 8800GTX just to play Crysis at the highest res I can. Both games will play on High at 1080p, but will freeze up after a short time. Crysis usually happens during the cutscenes, and when new sounds (i.e. radio calls) come over the headset. AC just seems to happen randomly.

I was using the Omega drivers, and thought that might be the problem, but even after I uninstalled and installed the stock Nvidia stuff, it still happens. The only thing I could think of is the cards overheating, but I've got DualOrb coolers on both of them, so I can't see that being a problem.

Any ideas (sorry for the jack, but I think our problems are one and the same)? It's made both Crysis and Assassin's Creed unplayable.
The full thread is here...http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...html#post52943

Any ideas?
Old April 21, 2008, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

Update to my own problem:

Apparently NVidia has released some drivers specifically for the 1.2 Crysis patch. I'll try these when I get home from work. Otherwise, I'm still open to ideas!
Old April 21, 2008, 09:45 AM
MVP
F@H

If you think its a heat issue leave your side panel off else post the load temps of your video cards.

Does your system freeze in the desktop or only when you are playing a game?

Is this an isolated problem with Crysis and Assissin's Creed only or does it happen to every other game too?
Old April 21, 2008, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty316 View Post
If you think its a heat issue leave your side panel off else post the load temps of your video cards.

Does your system freeze in the desktop or only when you are playing a game?

Is this an isolated problem with Crysis and Assissin's Creed only or does it happen to every other game too?
The heat idea was the only thing I could think of, but I'm pretty sure it's not, simply because it doesn't happen all the time.

It doesn't crash when in the desktop, and doesn't crash in every game. I've been playing CoD4 with no issues, as well as the latest Splinter Cell, and neither of those seems to have any issues. I'm at a loss.
Old April 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you overclocking? I have had similar problems with crysis and other games that are very sensitive to overclocks especially when they are not 100% stable.
Old April 21, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iv:xx View Post
I've quoted myself from another thread because I think this should be under troubleshooting. It's obviously not just a problem with my rig.

Specs for myself are Striker II Formula, E8400, OCZ ReaperX 4Gb, XP 32, 2x150Gb Raptor RAID0 drives, and 2xBFG 8800GTX in SLI.

The full thread is here...http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...html#post52943

Any ideas?
Interesting-my brothers almost got the same rig as you and mentioned just the other day he was having the exact same problem...I told him off the top of my head it was maybe some kind of memory dump but didn't have a clue overall.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
Top Prospect

Well, it's not a perfect solution, but when I run Crysis in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, it doesn't seem to crash. I played for an hour or so straight, and everything seemed to work.

I've loaded the new drivers, and still, if I try and run fullscreen, it crashes randomly after only a few minutes of play. Hell, it didn't even make it through the opening cutscene.

If anyone has any more ideas, I'm all ears.