Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Keyboard problem in BIOS *Solved* (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/56843-keyboard-problem-bios-solved.html)

Kilauea September 21, 2012 03:59 AM

Keyboard problem in BIOS *Solved*

For a month or so, I noticed that when I wanted to reboot in safe mode my keyboard was unresponsive. When I tried to move up or down, it wouldn't move at first and then started acting up and moving down or up as if my finger was pressing the key for a good 15-20 seconds. Eventually it stops, but when I press up or down again, it does the same. The enter key is equally unresponsive, but I can't quite tell you what it does.

I didn't make much of it, but I am still able to press F8 and get to the screen for safe mode without problems. I am also able to press DEL and get into the BIOS without problem.

Today, I tried to get into the BIOS to boost the speed of my CPU (since temperatures are down a bit and it was underclocked all summer), but I get the very same problem.

The keyboard works perfectly fine in Windows, in fact I am using that keyboard to type this. The arrows have also been tested in Windows and show no sign of problem. Back in March-May, there were no issues in BIOS either. The keyboard is a fairly recent Logitech illuminated. Aside from that, its the rig in my system details.

Anybody has a clue of what is going on ?
Thanks for your help.

sswilson September 21, 2012 04:29 AM

Are you using a motherboard USB plug (rear) or a USB header? If you're using something plugged into a header, try one of the physical motherboard connectors.

Kilauea September 21, 2012 04:38 AM

It is plugged directly in the motherboard, no hub or any such thing.

LaughingCrow September 21, 2012 01:16 PM

Try a different USB port off the motherboard.
Clean keyboard - they seem to be designed to collect debris. Inspect and check for any physical obstructions. Use canned air if needed.

Kilauea September 23, 2012 08:06 AM

There were no changes recently done. The keyboard had been working just fine in BIOS in the past. But I did what was suggested and tried a different USB port first before turning on the PC and it resulted in the same problem; then I switched USB port while in the BIO and I managed to get it working. Weirdly enough, when I got back to Windows, I had to unplug and replug (in the same USB port) my keyboard for it to be responsive.

All that to say, thank you for your help and sorry if did not update this any earlier, I wasn't home to test it.

sswilson September 23, 2012 08:09 AM

So it's back to working now? Unfortunately if you can't get into bios at all then there aren't too many things you can try outside of a different connector and possibly a cmos reset.

Kilauea September 23, 2012 08:11 AM

Its all working now, at least it did for what I had to do in the BIOS. I won't be restarting repeatedly to check the percentage of success. Thanks again.