Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2012, 10:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HDD Problem

Hello fellow forumers hopefully some of you guys can provide some advice to the following issue

My friend purchased a corsair force gt as boot drive and a seagate barracuda for data. The seagate drive is factory refurbished and he picked that because it is cheaper than a completely new one. The drive shows up in bios and in device manager however not in the my computer screen and disk management. I have tried left clicking the drive and select scan for hardware change in device manager but no luck.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The drive most likely needs to be formatted or partitioned I would guess.

Old September 21, 2012, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetik View Post
The drive most likely needs to be formatted or partitioned I would guess.
Any advice how to do so? I cant access it in disk mangement/my computer
Old September 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103194 View Post
Any advice how to do so? I cant access it in disk mangement/my computer
Sadly I have never done this while having multiple drives installed and one unformatted, nor know how, so I can't help you out. If thats even what is the problem though to begin with. I am not 100% sure, so I may be wrong about it too, but I would guess thats what it is.

You could try booting on the HDD and disabling the SSD for the moment, and creating a partition and formatting it with the Windows 7 disk or whatever you have by itself to see if that could work. Then switching back to the primary SSD with the operating system on it, and setting the HDD to the secondary or slave.

Last edited by Apathetik; September 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

un plug the ssd, run the windows install cd and see if it icks up the drive...if it does make a new disk and format in the windows installer.

i never read the whole thread... do what the guy above me said
Old September 22, 2012, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried the "easy to forget" things such as:
  • COLD restart the computer (e.g. shut down, not reboot or sleep)
  • Check if there's some RAID setting in BIOS that's enabled for no reason
  • Try the drive with a different cable and SATA port (or an external drive enclosure if you have one) EDIT: laziest way to do this is to swap the cables of the SSD and HDD on that same computer and see what happens
Also if Device Manager picks up the drives, you may be able to run SeaTools on the drive to find out what's going on:
SeaTools | Seagate

If the drive fails a SeaTools diagnostic, screenshot the error message and use it as evidence to return the drive.
Old September 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll try the above suggestions
Old September 22, 2012, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetik View Post
Sadly I have never done this while having multiple drives installed and one unformatted, nor know how, so I can't help you out. If thats even what is the problem though to begin with. I am not 100% sure, so I may be wrong about it too, but I would guess thats what it is.

You could try booting on the HDD and disabling the SSD for the moment, and creating a partition and formatting it with the Windows 7 disk or whatever you have by itself to see if that could work. Then switching back to the primary SSD with the operating system on it, and setting the HDD to the secondary or slave.
Fixed! thanks
Old September 23, 2012, 01:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103194 View Post
Fixed! thanks
Yay! Glad we could help ^^