Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2012, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Default computer wont boot. its sorta fixed

ok, the problem started this morning i turned on my computer and everything started up (fans and such) but no display popped up. i thought it might be my psu because the lights on my mouse and keyboard didnt light up like they usually do. then i took a look inside and then i heard the cpu fan speeding up and slowing down then stay steady for a few seconds then it would do it again. i had an old antec 850 and bought a new corsair 800 watt to replace it i also took my video card out and plugged my monitor into the intergrated vga and everything booted. i then shut it down to restarted it to see if it worked but as long as my cpu fan is speeding up and slowing down it wont boot. i accidentally put my finger into the cpu fan and nearly stopped it and then right after that it stopped speeding up and slowing down and the computer booted up. some what im wondering is there something wrong with my cpu fan or maybe mobo. and should i take back that new psu that i just bought and put the old one back in and save some money. because they old psu i have is nearly 4-5 years old.

processor is amd phenom II x 6 1045t
Old September 7, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With the new psu installed the cpu fan speed is still fluctuating?
Old September 7, 2012, 04:56 PM
Rookie

yes but i couldnt get the computer to boot with the old psu. maybe they both are bad?
Old September 7, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

it sounds like the computer is in a constant reboot loop. Fans sometimes spin at full speed when initially booting, before the fan control kicks in. No lights on the keyboard and mouse just means the USB isn't powered up yet, not an indicator of a broken PSU. Something is preventing the computer from booting. It sounds like you might have already found the problem - faulty video card, if you're able to boot the system with the integrated VGA. Is this a repeatable action? If so, I'd suggest taking back that PSU and spending the dough on a video card instead.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:24 AM
Rookie

sorry i didnt put everything originally. i thought the pulsing fan was my video card cause as long as that fan was pulsing the computer wouldnt boot. when i took my video card out and i still heard the pulsing then i found it was from the cpu. i then threw my video card back in turned the computer back on still heard the pulsing but i nearly stopped the cpu fan then it booted up immediately after that. so i thought it wasnt the psu and i put the old psu back in and i couldnt get it to boot at all. ive turned my computer off and on about 10 times in the past day and everytime has booted up flawlessly so im not sure what happened. maybe a error in bios or my mobo or something
Old September 8, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With new psu all is well?
Old September 8, 2012, 03:19 PM
Rookie

the new psu works im on the computer now. so far i havnt ran into the problems with my new psu ive turned my computer off and restarted it several times and nothing has bugged out so it could of just been the cpu glitch or something
Old September 9, 2012, 05:20 AM
Rookie

I had similar problem on one of my computer, by visual inspection I saw that one of the capacitor of the motherboard is bloated which I suspected causing the issue. I've replaced the board and everything gets OK.

I've been lurking this board, just now I decided to join :)
Old September 9, 2012, 09:38 AM
Rookie

thanks ill take a look. i just went to boot up the computer today and it stopped working again. so ill go take a look and respond with w/e i find
Old September 9, 2012, 09:49 AM
Rookie

ok looked all over the mobo and there arnt any bloated compacitor. but i got it working again. idk if this could be the problem or not but i started it up 3-4 times and everytime it didnt boot. i unplugged the 24pin power cord from the mobo and for some reason there is like an extender 24p to 24p and its like 3 inches long. i took that off and plugged the 24p right from my psu into the mobo fired it up and it immediately started. could there be something wrong with that extender or a short in it that wasnt feeding enough power to the mobo and subsequently the cpu?