Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2012, 01:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Dead Motherboard on older system?

Hi all.

My bros computer recently went to sleep, and was not able to power-up afterwards. A hard-reset did nothing either.

So i dismantled the computer to begin troubleshooting. After cleaning and resetting all hardware I attempted to boot and nothing happens. The motherboard is receiving power, as the green LED is lit. I began to remove all non-essential components leaving only the CPU and 1 memory stick. After testing all memory slots with the single stick and another stick I tried another PSU but with no success...

Has the motherboard died? It's an older computer and was incredibly dusty when i opened it up.

System:
Asus P5Q-e
q6600
gtx275
4gb muskin blackline pc2-8500
WD velociraptor 150gb

Thoughts?
Old September 6, 2012, 02:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You probably did this but just for giggles, did you yank the battery for your hard reset? (I'm going to assume yes, but still gotta ask).

Otherwise if you have taken it to that level of a single stick, different PSU and such that does sound like the board is done I'm afraid.

At least to me,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 6, 2012, 02:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

the cmos battery? i did not, but am trying that right now...

EDIT: Huzzah! it worked!

I've read that the P5Q-E has had difficulties with sleep/wake functionality. time for a bios update...
Old September 6, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ahh the magic BIOS reset..

That was quite the system a few years back.. Good to see it's still going strong. :) (well after a BIOS re-set)
Old September 6, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Invest in a new Battery ?? myght be failing causing the problem ?? check voltage on battery see how low it is.
Old September 6, 2012, 04:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah ZZLEE doesn't have a bad idea on replacing that battery just for the sake of it.
Its not just those boards, I had some AM3 GB boards that had problems with sleep mode as well, BIOS updates tended to fix it.

Good to see it worked!

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 6, 2012, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good call on the battery. Not something I would have initially thought of. Definitely replace it while your at it.